Property Damage

If you have sustained damage to your property as a result of sewer backup, watermain break or construction projects in your neighbourhood, you should take the following steps:

  • Protect your property from further damage if possible
  • If you choose to remove any property from the affected area be aware of electrical hazards.
  • Document your damages with photographs, original invoices and bills of sale.
  • Keep any damaged property for inspection.

Contact your Insurance Company

You should contact your insurance company, as your policy may provide coverage for your damages. If so, your insurance company can pursue any party they believe to be responsible for the damages. This may be the quickest way to recover any costs and have repairs made.

Contact the City

Contact the City of Hamilton if you wish to make a claim against the City for property damage.  For sewer backup claims, we will only consider a claim if the blockage that caused the backup was within the City sewer.

Each claim will be examined individually and judged on its own merits.

Submit your claim in a written letter to:

City of Hamilton
Risk Management Services
50 Main St. East, 4th Floor
Hamilton, Ontario L8N 1E9

Your letter should describe:

  • what was damaged
  • how it happened
  • the date and time of the occurrence
  • contractors, equipment or operators,  where  possible

Remember to include your name, address and telephone number where you can be reached.

After you submit a claim

When Risk Management Services receives your claim, they start an investigation. You will receive notice in the mail to let you know your claim has been received. A decision will be made when all of the information has been reviewed and you will be advised as quickly as possible. Payment of a claim is contingent upon legal liability on the part of the City.