Tips to avoid blockages
Here are some tips to avoid blockages in your pipes due to fats, oil and grease:
- Commercial additives such as detergents may not dissolve grease. The grease may pass through the sewer pipe from your home and harden in the main sewer line of your street and build up over time causing a blockage and potentially a back-up into your home.
- Before washing your dishes, scrape grease, fat and cooking oil into your Green Cart. Soak up excess liquid grease with paper towels and place them in your Green Cart as well.
- Use a sink basket or strainer to help prevent food residues from going down the drain.
- We do not recommend garburators, as they do not stop grease from going down the drain and shredded food waste can create blockages in your sewer.
- Take residential waste fats to one of the City’s Community Recycling Centres. You can drop off 40L of waste fats per visit for free.
Clogged pipes can cause:
- Raw sewage back-ups into your home and your neighbours home
- Raw sewage overflows into neighbourhood yards, parks and streets
- Potential contact with disease-causing bacteria
- Potential messy and expensive basement clean-ups and or sewer line cleanup, as it may not be covered by your homeowner’s insurance policy
- Increased operational and maintenance costs for the City, which causes higher sewer and water rates for residents
- Date modified: