Update: Two down-bound lanes open for Claremont Access. Sherman Access is reduced to one lane.
Lawn and garden care
Here are some tips to follow to keep pollutants out of the drain while taking care of your lawn and gardens.
- Minimize the use of fertilizers, pesticides and insecticides in your lawn and garden
- Use less-toxic gardening and pest control techniques and products
- Do not apply lawn or garden products before it rains
- Do not over apply lawn and garden products and follow all instructions
- Do not overwater
- Use a soaker hose instead of a sprinkler
- Plant vegetation to minimize soil erosion on your property
- Cover piles of dirt or mulch being used in landscaping projects
- Compost or mulch yard waste
- Don't sweep yard waste onto the street or into storm drains
Here are some tips to follow to keep pollutants out of the drain while taking care of your car.
- Inspect your car for leaks and regularly maintain your vehicle
- Take your car to a car wash instead of washing it in the driveway
- If you wash your car at home, do it on a grassy area if possible and do not use harsh cleaners
- Drive less to minimize the accumulation of brake dust and vehicle emission particulates on the ground
Property clean up
Here are some tips to follow to keep pollutants out of the drain while cleaning up your property.
- Sweep sidewalks and driveways clean
- Do not hose off sidewalks or driveways
- Do not sweep anything into the storm sewer
- Do not use water to hose spills into the catch basin
- Use kitty litter to clean up spills
Disposal of pollutants
Here are some tips to follow to keep pollutants out of the drain.
- Recycle used motor oil, antifreeze and other fluids
- Recycle fats, oils and grease
- Properly dispose of household chemicals and hazardous wastes at a Community Recycling Centre
- Have your septic tank pumped and system inspected regularly
Here is a tip to follow to keep pollutants out of the drain.
- Pick up your pet waste and flush it down the toilet or bag and place in the trash
- Date modified: