Water & Sewer

Shutting Off Your Water

You are responsible for the water lines from inside your house to the property line. This includes:

  • Leaks
  • Broken water pipes

You can repair issues inside your house by shutting the water off at the main shut-off valve. This is usually located in the basement.

If the inside shut-off valve is broken or you cannot turn it off:

  1. Call 905-546-2489 for an emergency shut-off at the curb
  2. Call 905-546-2489 again when we can turn the water back on

The shut-off valve at the curb:

  • is usually located on the city sidewalk or at the property line
  • is approximately three inches in diameter
  • has either HWW (Hamilton Water Works) or WATER stamped on it
  • is where the City can turn off your water supply

Keep this valve visible at all times. If there is an emergency, this will help staff find it and turn off the water supply quickly.

Raise, lower, repair or locate your outside water shut-off valve

Call 905-546-2489 to schedule an operator to raise, lower or repair your outside shut-off valve.

To locate outside water lines, call Ontario One Call at 1-800-400-2255. They send a request to all of the utility companies that have underground services at your address to locate the services on your property.

Working Around the Shut-off Valve

Before starting any work, property owners that are looking to have their driveway installed or reconstructed should call Hamilton Water at 905-546-2489 to have the shut-off valve at their property line inspected and raised. If the shut-off valve requires repair, the combined process of obtaining underground utility locates and coordinating staff and equipment to complete the work typically takes between 6 to 8 weeks. For this reason it is important to make the request to check the shut-off valve as soon as possible before paving.