Was your home hit hard by the recent heavy rainfall on April 20, 2017, causing flooding to your basement?
You are responsible for the water lines from inside your house to the property line. This includes:
- Broken water pipes
You can repair issues inside your house by shutting the water off at the main shut-off valve. This is usually located in the basement.
If the inside shut-off valve is broken or you cannot turn it off:
- Call 905-546-4426 for an emergency shut-off at the curb
- Call 905-546-4426 again when we can turn the water back on
The shut-off valve at the curb:
- is usually located on the city sidewalk or at the property line
- is approximately three inches in diameter
- has either HWW (Hamilton Water Works) or WATER stamped on it
- is where the City can turn off your water supply
Keep this valve visible at all times. If there is an emergency, this will help staff find it and turn off the water supply quickly.
Raise, lower, repair or locate your outside water shut-off valve
Call 905-546-4426 to schedule an operator to raise, lower or repair your outside shut-off valve.
To locate outside water lines, call Ontario One Call at 1-800-400-2255. They send a request to all of the utility companies that have underground services at your address to locate the services on your property.
- Date modified: