Learn more about the provincial framework and how our community’s collective effort can prevent and contain the spread of the virus...
The pipe that extends from your home to the water main in the street is called the water service line or alternately the water service pipe. You own the water service pipe from inside your home to the property line. The City owns and maintains the water pipe from the property line to the water main.
Replacement of public and private water service pipes
Replacing old water service pipes that are undersized usually increases water flow and removes service pipe materials that are no longer acceptable such as lead and lead alloy. Lead is a known toxic metal. The City of Hamilton Hamilton has implemented a Corrosion Control Program to help protect residents from potential lead exposure in drinking water where lead water pipes, lead based fixtures and lead solder are present.
Schedule a Check Size and Type Inspection
A Check Size and Type Inspection helps you determine the size and type of the pipe that is used to provide your water service. If you suspect that you have a lead water service pipe, call the City of Hamilton at 905-546-2489 and arrange to have a Check Size and Type Inspection of your water service.
After the Check Size and Type Inspection, the property owner can purchase a water service replacement permit from the customer service window at 330 Wentworth Street North.
The City’s replacement of the public portion service pipe will be scheduled providing the property owner meets the following conditions:
- The property owner, at their expense, replaces or installs a new approved private water service pipe in accordance with the permit requirements.
- The property owner has a properly installed water meter.
- When there is a shared service pipe, the property owner eliminates all plumbing interconnections between their property and any other properties.
- The property owner must have the private water service pipe replacement inspected and approved in accordance with the permit requirements.
Water service line replacement
A $2,500 interest-bearing loan opportunity exists from the City of Hamilton for property owners who would like to replace their lead water line. The loan, including interest, will be transferred to the owner’s monthly water bill for a maximum ten-year repayment period. The loan interest rate for 2021 is 1.75%. Once you’ve completed the water pipe upgrade, the City will replace the public section of the water service pipe from the property line to the water main.
Low Income Zero Interest Loans
Home owners who have qualified for low-income energy customer support programs such as, LEAP (Low-Income Energy Assistance Program) or OESP (Ontario Electricity Support Program) are eligible for a zero interest loan to cover the cost of the replacement. The loan will remain interest-free unless the customer defaults on payments.
- Must be the owner(s) of the property.
- All owners of the property must fill out the loan application.
- The owner(s) must remit the loan application fee.
- The existing pipe must be substantially composed of lead.
- Have obtained a minimum of 1 quote for the work from a licensed Contractor.
- All property taxes must be current at the time of application and at time of loan payment.
- The owner(s) must complete and sign the Commitment Letter.
- The owner(s) must meet all the conditions of this Program.
To submit your loan application, you have the following options.
Please note: All applications must be signed. If you are emailing your application, you must print and sign your application before scanning it and emailing it.
Email your signed application to: [email protected]
Mail your signed application to:
Attn: Lead Replacement, Customer Service
City of Hamilton – Hamilton Water Division
Public Works Department
330 Wentworth Street North
Hamilton, ON L8L 5W2
- Lead Water Service Replacement Loan Package (PDF, 138 KB)
- Date modified: