- DARTS is a shared-ride service. You will not always be the only person on board. Please allow for adequate time to reach your destination.
- Passengers must be ready and waiting at the start of the 15 minute pick up window. DARTS may arrive between 15 minutes before or 15 minutes after the negotiated pick up time.
- When drivers arrive early, they must wait until the start of the passenger’s 15 minute pick up window.
- Drivers will wait for five minutes only. If the passenger is not ready to leave, a cancellation will be recorded. For information about allowable cancellation limits, please refer to the ATS-DARTS Excessive Cancellations and No Shows Policy.
- If a vehicle has not arrived by the end of your pickup window, call 905-529-1717 & Press “1” to report a late vehicle.
- DARTS may send a minivan or regular size sedan for passengers who are ambulatory or who travel with a walker. Please inform ATS if you anticipate any difficulty riding in a van or car, and you will be exempted from travel on the smaller vehicles.
- Passengers may board with up to two carry-on items, which must be maintained under the control of the passenger at all times during their trip.
You can make reservations up to seven days in advance for DARTS. There are two ways that you can make a reservation:
- Online at DARTS Web. Contact ATS Customer Service to get access to DARTS Web. They will set up your account and create a password. If you need a support person you will not get access to DARTS Web for safety reasons. You can check your trip times or cancel trips on DARTs Web.
- Call 905-529-1717 and provide the following information:
- DARTS Passenger Number
- Date you need a ride
- Time you want to be picked up
- Your appointment time
- Your pick up address and accessible entrance
- Your destination address
- Your return time
- If you are traveling with a mobility device, service animal, companion or support person
Please confirm all your information at the end of your call.
Waiting list for DARTS
- If a vehicle is unavailable at the reservation time you request, you can be waitlisted.
- DARTS will only contact you if a spot opens up. You can call DARTS to ask where you are on the waiting list.
- Being on the waiting list does not guarantee you a trip. If DARTS is unable to accommodate your trip you will need to find another ride, such as through the Taxi Scrip program.
Call returns, cancellations & subscription trips
ATS and/or DARTS staff advises passengers at the time of booking if their trip qualifies for call return. The requested trip is then booked for a call return or another agreed upon pick-up time.
Call return trips are available to passengers when the length of their appointment is not known at the time of the trip reservation such as:
- Doctor/ Specialist appointments
- Medical/ Laboratory tests
- Dialysis appointments (existing subscriptions only)
- Court appearances
When the appointment is over, passengers call 905-529-1717 to speak with the Dispatcher who sends the first available vehicle. If a vehicle is not available, you will have an extended wait for your return trip.
Appointments with a specific start and end time do not qualify for call return. These include:
- Dental appointments
- Massage therapy
- Chiropractic visits
- Lawyer/ Legal appointments
- Business appointments (such as Tax Returns)
- School or other examinations
- Recreational activities (i.e. swimming lessons)
ATS and/or DARTS staff has the final decision where disagreements about qualifying trips occur.
To cancel your trip with DARTS:
- call 905-529-1717
- Online at DARTS Web
Cancel as early as possible so that DARTS can offer trips to other customers and to avoid exceeding the allowable cancellation limits.
- If you go to the same place every week, request a subscription trip so DARTS automatically comes every week to pick you up.
- You book subscription trips by calling DARTS at 905-529-1717 or online.
- Approval is subject to availability. You must reserve rides day by day until you receive approval.
- Subscription trips are cancelled on Statutory Holidays. If you still need to travel on these dates, you must call DARTS Reservations to book your trip.
DARTS cancels service due to snow, ice or dangerous road conditions. Watch local TV stations, listen to the radio or visit DARTS Web for service cancellations.
Support persons & companions
One support person can travel with you for free on DARTS. A passenger must have medical certification on file with ATS stating that they require a support person before their trip.
- Passengers who travel occasionally with a support person must inform Reservations if a support person is required for each trip.
- Passengers who register as requiring a support person at all times must be accompanied for all trips and may not travel alone on DARTS.
- A support person must accompany all children and students under the age of 12 on DARTS.
- You can travel with a companion who does not have medical certification but they must pay the HSR fare.
If there is a safety risk to a passenger being left alone at their destination, register the passenger as “Do Not Leave Unattended”. The passenger may travel independently on DARTS; however a caregiver must be at every destination to receive the passenger.
Wheelchairs & scooter assistance
DARTS drivers assist passengers with wheelchairs up or down one step only, to and from an accessible entrance. If you need greater assistance at your pick-up or drop-off points, you must arrange for a support person to help you.
- Scooters must have a lap belt.
- Wheelchairs must have a lap belt and footrests.
- Scooters and wheelchairs must not be larger than 76 cm (30 inches) wide by 122 cm (48 inches) long.
- DARTS buses equipped with a lift can accommodate a maximum weights of 363 kg (800 lbs).
Travel training and/or mobility device training
For wheelchair/ scooter/ walker
Training is available to Conditional and Temporary ATS Registrants who are interested in learning how to use HSR, including route training, instruction and practice boarding the HSR vehicles using your wheelchair or scooter. For more information, please call ATS at 905-529-1212.
Change of personal information
Call ATS Customer Service at 905-529-1212 to report changes to your personal information, including:
- Telephone number
- Emergency contact information
- Mobility status (seat code)
- Fare type
Your personal information must be up-to-date. You may have to reapply if your information is not up to date or you have not used DARTS within a 12 month period.
Video cameras on DARTS vehicles
DARTS vehicles are equipped with automated video surveillance cameras. Personal information is being collected under the authority of the City of Hamilton Act, 1999; S.O. 1999, c. 14, Sched. C., the Municipal Act, 2001; S.O. 2001, c. 25, and the Occupiers’ Liability Act, R.S.O. 1990, c. O.2., for the purpose of protecting employees and operators, the public, and DARTS’ assets, including assisting with risk management and insurance.
Questions about this collection should be directed to:
Manager of Accessible Transportation Services
2200 Upper James Street, P.O. Box 340
Mount Hope, ON L0R 1W0Phone: 905-529-1212 Fax:
Email: [email protected]
Questions regarding personal information should be directed to:
Manager, Records & Freedom of Information
Office of the City Clerk
71 Main Street West, 1st Floor
Hamilton, Ontario L8P 4Y5
Email: [email protected]
- Date modified: