The City of Hamilton is an equal opportunity employer committed to hiring for diversity and inclusivity. We welcome applications from qualified individuals for any full-time, part-time, temporary, seasonal, and summer student jobs.
We accept resumes for currently posted opportunities only.
Your resume must clearly show us how you meet the requirements for the job. It must include both the Job Title and Job ID Number. We thank all who apply, however, only those selected to move forward in the recruitment process will be contacted.
How to apply for jobs online
First time applicants and registrants
Follow these helpful tips for your first application:
- You do not need an email address to view job postings, but to apply for a job online you will need to create an online account by registering with us. To register and apply to job postings, you need to enter a user name, password, name, email address and phone number.
- If you don’t have an email address, you can create one at several websites that provide an email service. New online accounts cannot use previously registered email addresses.
- You will need a password which you can easily remember, but is not obvious to others. Passwords are case sensitive. If you currently have a registered online career account and have forgotten your User ID and/or Password, please use the “Forgot Username or “Forgot Password” feature on the Careers page.
- Read the instructions on all of the application pages. They help you to fill in the information that is required.
When to apply
Job applications can be submitted online at any time from Monday through Sunday with the exception of the following:
- You cannot apply online during regular maintenance every Sunday from 2 am to 6:30 am Eastern Standard Time (EST).
- One Thursday of every month (typically the second Thursday of each month) from 5 pm to 7:30 pm EST.
What to expect after you apply
- You will receive an email confirming that we received your application. You must provide a valid email address to receive the confirmation. You can also view your application submission within your online Career Account under “My Job Applications”. You do not need to send a hard copy.
- If you need to change information or you want to attach a revised resume for a job that you have already applied to, you can do so by withdrawing your application and reapplying online for that job before the closing date.
- If you want to change your personal contact information you can do that online at any time.
- If you are no longer interested in a job and wish to withdraw your application, please log into your online Career Account and go to “My Job Applications” and withdraw your application.
- Due to the high number of applications the City of Hamilton receives, only those selected to move forward in the recruitment process will be contacted.
Tips for submitting your online application
We have listed some tips below to help you submit your online application.
When you are attaching a resume:
- You can only attach one file; if you are submitting a resume and cover letter, they must be saved as one file before uploading.
- Acceptable file types are:
- Ensure the maximum size of the resume does not exceed 1 MB.
- The resume attachment file name must not contain more than 60 characters.
- The file name of your resume must not contain a period (“.”) unless it is directly before the filename extension:
- Incorrect example: John.Doe.doc
- Correct example: John_Doe.doc
Disable any Pop-Up Ad Blocker software you have on your computer. This type of software has shown to cause problems when attempting to attach resumes online.
Disable any third party toolbar add-ons that stop pop-ups, such as Google Toolbar. These add-ons may prevent you from viewing your resume attachment.
Troubleshooting login issues
If you are having issues logging in, please review the Career Site Login Troubleshooting Guide (PDF, 697 KB)
If you are a foreign-trained professional, we encourage you to have your academic credentials evaluated prior to applying for a job to ensure we can interpret them accurately and compare them to Canadian equivalents.
For information about the evaluation of foreign credentials go to World Education Services (WES).
Consistent with our Values and Corporate Culture Pillars, the City of Hamilton is committed to providing equitable treatment to all with respect to barrier-free employment and accommodation without discrimination. The City will provide accommodation for applicants in all aspects of the hiring process, up to the point of undue hardship. If you have an accommodation need, please contact Human Resources as soon as possible to make appropriate arrangements.
Contact Human Resources
For technical difficulties, issues, questions or accommodations with an application made online please contact:
Human Resources Reception
Phone: 905-546-2424 ext. 2397
Resumes for posted opportunities must be made online. Applications or resumes will not be accepted through email.
- Date modified: