The Hamilton Fire Department is responsible for the delivery of fire protection services to Hamilton citizens. The department offers both full-time and volunteer firefighter positions to men and women who are community-minded, highly motivated and team players. If this describes you, then consider becoming a firefighter with us.
Hamilton’s Fire Department operates out of 30 sites across the city. We have 17 fire stations with full-time firefighters who respond to different emergency situations and 13 fire stations staffed by volunteer firefighters.
General volunteer firefighter duties
Volunteer firefighters are responsible for a wide variety of duties including, but not limited to:
- Responding to fire and rescue emergencies.
- Performing manual work of a hazardous nature involving fighting fires, salvaging, and rescue work and administering first aid under direct supervision.
- Participating in regular training and maintenance work of the fire station and equipment.
- Making decisions and working without supervision until an Officer arrives on the scene.
Volunteer firefighter recruitment qualifications
To become a volunteer firefighter with the City, you must:
- Be able to communicate in English both orally and in writing.
- Be able to conduct routine maintenance and cleaning of stations and all types of apparatus and equipment used.
- Be able to obtain an Ontario class DZ driver’s licence during the probationary period.
- Be able to work in a highly structured work environment and follow the rules, regulations and procedures of the Hamilton Fire Department.
- Be capable of learning and performing the various methods and techniques used in extinguishing and preventing fires and in rescue techniques.
- Have a valid Ontario class G driver’s licence or higherwith 0 demerit points satisfactory to the City of Hamilton.
- Have the ability to acquire a general knowledge of hazardous materials, poisonous substances, arson detection, life safety systems and other job related subjects, and be familiar with the procedures associated with these subjects.
- Have the ability to make decisions and to react calmly and quickly in emergency situations.
- Have visual requirements of at least 20/30 in each eye without corrective lenses, have normal depth perception, and have colour vision.
- Maintain the physical strength and agility to perform hard work and operate all firefighting/rescue apparatus and equipment, as well as safety equipment under adverse conditions, frequently, for prolonged periods of time.
- Not have any criminal convictions for which a pardon has not been granted.
- Successfully complete the recruit-training program.
Apply online by attaching your resume and answering the mandatory questionnaire. Or submit your resume and mandatory questionnaire in person or by mail. Duplicate applications will be shredded. Applications are disqualified if:
- the mandatory questionnaire is not completed in full
- your resume is not submitted
- False statements are made on your resume or questionnaire
When to apply
2016 Recruitment is now closed.
120 King Street West, 9th Floor
Standard Life Building
Hamilton, Ontario L8P 4V2
By mail to:
City of Hamilton
71 Main Street West
Hamilton, Ontario L8P 4Y5
Applications must be received by Wednesday, August 10, 2016 at 4:30 pm. Submissions received after this time will not be considered.
Information packages including the mandatory questionnaire are available online (PDF, 445 KB) or are available for pick up starting Thursday, July 15, Monday to Friday, from 8:30 am to 4:30 pm (excluding statutory holidays) at the following locations:
2016 Important Dates
Review What to Expect During the Volunteer Firefighter Recruitment Process for further details on the below dates.
Application process opens Thursday, July 14, 2016
Application process closes Wednesday, August 17, 2016
Invited applicants are required to attend physical agility and written aptitude testing on Saturday, September 17, 2016
Interviews will be conducted October 3 to October 17, 2016
Invited applicants are required to attend a Physical Agility Test on Saturday, November 5, 2016
Conditional offers will be made outlining next steps the week of November 16, 2016
Firm offers will be made the week of January 17, 2016 December 19, 2016
Recruit Training Program will commence January 3, 2017
- Date modified: