2017/18 Recruitment is now closed
If you would like to become a firefighter with the City, apply online during the recruitment window by answering the mandatory online questionnaire and attaching your resume. Once you register or log-in please ensure that “My Profile” is updated to include your current address, phone number and email address. All form of communication will be sent to you based on your profile information. If you do not fully complete the questionnaire or do not attach your resume, your application will be disqualified.
Registration & payment
All applicants are required to register for CPS Entry Firefighter Test (aptitude) and the OS Firefighting Assessment with Gledhill Shaw. You will not be contacted by the City. It is your responsibility to register. Each firefighter candidate must write both test components on the same day in order to be considered further in the hiring process.
Registration is open from Thursday, July 13, 2017 at 8 am to Wednesday, July 19, 2017 at 6 pm.
You are required to book one of the following dates only:
- Day 1 Thursday, August 10, 2017
- Day 2 Friday, August 11, 2017
- Day 3 Saturday, August 12, 2017
Booking is on a first come, first served basis. Once a session is fully booked you will not be able to choose the date.
A non-refundable testing fee of $140 (HST included) is to be paid at the time of online registration. PayPal or a major credit card will be the only acceptable form of payment.
Within 24 hours of registering, candidates will receive two separate emails, one from Gledhill Shaw and one from PayPal.
- The email from Gledhill Shaw will include confirmation date of test registration, providing your Personal ID Number, items to bring to the test, and time and location of testing.
- The second email is from PayPal confirming your payment. Candidates are required to bring a copy of the email confirmation to the testing.
If candidates do not receive a confirmation email after 24 hours please email Gledhill Shaw at email@example.com
OS & CPS testing
Hamilton Fire Department will be employing two (2) mandatory tests as part of the process.
- The OS (Occupational Screening) Firefighting Test is a readiness assessment based on functional characteristics that are essential for effective firefighter trainees.
- The CPS (Cooperative Personal Services) Entry Firefighter Test is a cognitive test of certain knowledge, skills and aptitudes necessary to succeed as a firefighter in today’s environment.
Photo ID is required at time of testing and throughout the recruitment process.
- Driver’s Licence
- Military ID
- Health Card
You must bring the following with you to the testing:
- Test Confirmation Email
- Two H or HB pencils and a good eraser
- Photo ID
- If you would like to bring water please do so as it will not be provided
Hamilton Convention Centre by Carmen’s, 1 Summers Lane, Hamilton, Ontario, L8P 4Y2
Wentworth A, B and C Rooms.
Date: Thursday, August 10, 2017
Check-in: 8 am
Test: 9 am
Date: Friday, August 11, 2017
Check-in: 8 am
Test: 9 am
Date: Saturday, August 12, 2017
Check-in: 8 am
Test: 9 am
Directions & parking
If you are selected for an interview will we get a hold of you by email.
Bring the original and one copy of each of the following documents to your interview:
- Ontario High School Diploma or approved equivalent as established by the Ontario Ministry of Education. For evaluation of International educational certificates please contact:
- The International Credential Assessment Service (ICAS) of Canada at 1-800-321-6021, www.icascanada.ca or
- World Education Services – Canada (WES-Canada) at 1-866-343-0070, www.wes.org/ca or
- The Comparative Education Service of the University of Toronto (CES)
- Proof that your basic rescuer or level "C" CPR certificate (minimum) is valid at time of application and will remain valid throughout the process until time of hire.
- Standard First Aid certificate (minimum) that is valid at time of application and will remain valid throughout the process until time of hire. Canadian Red Cross, Canadian St. John's ambulance, or WSIB-approved training is acceptable.
- If a certificate for either CPR or First Aid is not available a letter on company or department letterhead outlining the recognized training stating the level and the date completed, may be accepted.
- Valid Class “G” Driver’s Licence with 0 demerit points and satisfactory to the City of Hamilton at time of application. A valid Class “DZ” licence with 0 demerit points and satisfactory to the City of Hamilton is required on or before December 1, 2017.
If the above information is not provided at the interview, you will be disqualified from the process.
Conditional job offers
Conditional job offers will be made based on the number of jobs available. To be eligible to continue further in the process the following conditions must be met:
- Police Vulnerable Sector Check (satisfactory to the City)
- Valid York University Firefighter Fitness Assessment Evaluation
- Medical (administered by our physician)
- Reference Checks
- Driver’s Abstract Check (conducted by the City and satisfactory to us)
Police Vulnerable Sector Check
You will be required to obtain a Police Vulnerable Sector Check at your own expense. To obtain your police check, go to the police service in the municipality where you permanently live.
In order for your application to be considered, you must not have a criminal conviction for which a pardon has not been granted at the time of application and your police check must be satisfactory to the City.
You will be contacted by the City with a date and time for your third-party medical assessment.
- The cost of the medical assessment is covered by the City.
- The required medical documents will be provided to you once your appointment has been confirmed.
- You must successfully complete the medical assessment to be considered.
- Your vision will be tested at the medical assessment. The acceptable vision required for this position is 20/30 in each eye without corrective lenses and the ability to satisfactorily complete a colour vision test.
Successful candidates start 18 weeks of training on their employment start date.
- Date modified: