A Winter Operator - Roads is responsible for performing diverse operations across the City of Hamilton to help ensure safe travel for the public during the winter season. In this position you will be required to perform road maintenance labourer duties with some driving duties relating to the winter control program including:
- Shovelling bus shelters
- Operating snow blowers and clearing sidewalks
- Labouring duties as per road programs
- Operating other equipment
- Driving snow plow/sander
This position is required to operate and inspect different types of equipment including:
- Snow blowers (various sizes)
- Front-end loaders
- Crew cabs
Winter Operator - Roads requirements
- Have operator experience with sidewalk and roadway snow plowing, spreading of de-icing material and snow removal.
- Have operator experience with general road maintenance duties such as pothole patching, drainage inspections, shoulder repair, operating of equipment, vehicles and machinery.
- Must be able to work shifts days/nights, but also be available in a 24/7 capacity.
- Be able to comprehend and communicate written and verbal instructions.
- Be able to work with a crew or alone as well as be able to work without constant supervision.
- Be able to document, and legibly complete written information such as pre-trip inspections, timesheets, activity logs.
- Have knowledge of relevant legislations such as the Occupational Health and Safety Act, Highway Traffic Act, Book 7 Regulations, 70 Hour Regulations, WHMIS legislation and other provincial constructed-related legislation.
- Be able to lift a minimum of 23 kg with an occasional requirement to lift up to 45kg.
- Have a valid Ontario class “D” drivers licence with a valid “Z” endorsement or equivalent.
- Have a clear and demerit free driving record for three years before applying and at the time of hire. You must provide a recent, certified copy of a driver’s abstract upon request. Driver abstracts cannot be older than 14 days.
- Date modified: