All students are expected to fulfil their employment commitment by completing the entire term of summer employment as agreed upon at time of offer. Should the entire term not be completed, the student will not be eligible to apply as a returning summer student the following year. The student will be required to apply as a new student. Certain exceptions can be made with proper management approvals.
All students hired by the City must attend a mandatory orientation session. You will be notified by e-mail of the date, time, and location of the session. If you do not attend the mandatory orientation session, you will forfeit your summer student position.
Documents to bring to the orientation session
Upon being successful to a summer student position, you will be contacted by the Hiring Manager with information regarding the orientation process. You will also be required to complete a new hire package, please be prepared with the following information:
- Personal information and emergency contact information
- Banking Information:
- Financial institution name
- Bank number - 3 digits
- Branch number - 5 digits
- Bank account number
- OR a personal cheque which contains the above noted information. If you do not have cheques, contact your bank for the information or submit a banking deposit form. This information cannot be found on your debit card
- Valid social insurance number (and/or valid work/study permit when applicable). If you have misplaced your social insurance number, contact a Service Canada Centre.
- Documents related to the position you are applying for as noted in the job description or at the time of your interview, such as:
- driver’s license
- first aid certificate
- proof of enrolment in studies both before and after the summer session.
- Criminal Records and Judicial Matters Check. This requirement will be noted clearly in the job description and/or will be brought to your attention at time of interview.
You need these documents for payroll purposes. If the information is not provided, there may be a delay in your first pay.
Conditions of employment
If you are hired or rehired as a summer student, you must agree to all of the following conditions of employment:
- You must complete the terms of summer employment as indicated in your conditional offer letter. If you do not complete your full term, you will not be eligible to apply as a returning summer student the following year. You will be required to apply as a new student. Certain exceptions can be made with proper management approvals.
- You must be enrolled in full-time studies when you apply.
- You must intend to return to school on a full-time basis in the fall.
- There is a maximum of four summer student terms for General Labourer and Administrative/Office positions.
- Terms in Recreation positions (Camp, Inclusion and Supie Supervisors; Camp and Inclusion Counsellors; Supies; Wading Pool and Change Room Attendants) are unlimited.
- A partial summer student term counts as a full summer work term.
- “Special Project Summer Student” positions are not considered a returning summer student in the following year. You must reapply as a new student.
- If you worked for us last year you must apply to the returning category to be considered for your previous position.
- You may not hold more than one job with the City of Hamilton at any point in time.
- Positions that permit and/or require you to drive a City-owned or leased vehicle require you to submit a copy of your Ontario class G driver’s license and a current driver’s abstract. You must not have any demerit points.
- You are not eligible to apply for internal job postings.
- You must report to the work location assigned. Refusal may result in forfeiting your position.
- Date modified: