The City of Hamilton offers civil marriage ceremonies to couples looking to have a simple, non-religious marriage ceremony or vow renewal at Hamilton City Hall in Council Chambers, or Meeting Room 830 or outdoors on City Hall property (subject to availability), by appointment only Monday to Friday, 8:30 am to 4:30 pm.
Couples interested in a civil marriage ceremony must book and attend a mandatory consultation meeting with one of our Officiants. Consultation meetings are offered during business hours, Monday to Friday, 8:30 am to 4:30 pm subject to availability of the Officiant.
To book a consultation meeting, call 905-546-2424 ext. 4408 or email [email protected].
What to bring to the consultation meeting
When attending your consultation meeting with the Officiant, the couple (both individuals are required to attend) should come prepared with the following:
- Completed self-assessment forms for each person
- A valid marriage licence (not required for the renewal of vows)
- Completed Civil Marriage Ceremony Questionnaire (PDF, 65 KB)
- Preferred time, date and location (either Council Chambers or outdoors at City Hall) for the civil marriage ceremony (separate date from consultation)
- One piece of current, valid photo identification for each person
- Written copies of any personal vows. Couples may use these vows as they are or come prepared with suggestions:
- Payment for the Civil Marriage Ceremony Fees (cash, money order, debit or credit card)
Marriage Licences can be obtained at Hamilton City Hall and the Municipal Service Centres. Learn more about obtaining a marriage licence by visiting Marriage Licence & Certificates.
Civil Marriage Ceremony fees
- Civil marriage ceremony fee: $353 (HST included).This fee also includes a $118 (HST included) non-refundable cancellation fee.
- Renewal of vows fee: $59 (HST included). This fee also includes a $29.50 (HST included) non-refundable cancellation fee.
Hamilton City Hall (71 Main St. W.) Civil Marriage Ceremony Locations:
- Council Chambers (Maximum occupancy - 191 persons including the Officiant, the couple, the 2 witnesses)
- Outdoors on City Hall property (Maximum occupancy - 40 persons including the Officiant, the couple, the 2 witnesses)
- Marriage Ceremony Room - coming soon!
- Locations are subject to availability.
About the ceremony
- No bubbles, candles, confetti, decorations or incense is permitted in or around City Hall.
- Couples must provide two witnesses for their ceremony. Witnesses must be 14 years of age or older. A witness must be able to understand and appreciate what is taking place and give evidence of such at a later date, if required. The fee for the City to provide witnesses is $29.50 (HST included) per witness.
- Couples must also provide an interpreter if they do not speak English and/or require language assistance. The interpreter cannot be one of the witnesses to the ceremony and will be required to complete and sign the form (PDF, 74 KB) confirming that they have interpreted the marriage ceremony. The officiant may cancel the ceremony if they feel that any of the parties to the marriage or any of the witnesses cannot understand the nature of the marriage contract.
After the ceremony
- Once the ceremony is complete, the Officiant will forward the marriage licence to the Province of Ontario to be registered.
- Couples will be given the Record of Solemnization of Marriage but this is not a legal record of the marriage.
- The Marriage Certificate is the legal record of the marriage and must be ordered by the couple from the Province of Ontario on the ServiceOntario website.
For questions please contact the City Clerk’s Office at 905-546-2424 ext. 4408.
- Date modified: