Getting Married

Marriages & Ceremonies

An authorized official needs to marry you to ensure that a marriage is performed properly and legally. There are two types of marriage ceremonies performed in Ontario:

Arranging the marriage ceremony is your responsibility.

Marriage licence vs. Publication of banns

Before you get married, you need either:

  • a marriage licence, or
  • a banns form that you get from a church when you publicly announce your commitment during a divine service (a church publishes this declaration, called “the publication of banns”)

Banns cannot be published if you or your spouse has been married before. You will need to get a marriage licence.

Getting married outside of Ontario

When you get married outside of Ontario, your marriage won’t be registered in the province. You need to follow the marriage licence requirements from the place where you intend to get married.

Get married in another province
Check with the Vital Statistics Office in the province or territory in Canada where you want to get married.

Get married outside Canada
Check with the Canadian representative in the country you want to get married in.

You may need to prove that you are not currently married and you may be required to apply for a marriage search letter.