Requirements for food vendors at special events
Hamilton Public Health Services helps Event Organizers and vendors ensure safe food handling at Special Events in the City of Hamilton to reduce the risk of foodborne illness. Public Health Inspectors will inspect food vendors at the event for safe food preparation and handling.
- Vendors must comply with the Requirements for Food Vendors at Special Events and with all applicable sections of the Food Premises Regulation, under the Health Protection and Promotion Act, R.S.O., 1990.
- All food served at the event must be obtained from an approved and inspected source and prepared in an approved and inspected kitchen.
- Food vendors selling, giving food away or providing samples must complete the application form.
- Food vendors and food trucks must attach a copy of the kitchen’s most recent public health inspection report.
- If the food vendor/truck uses or rents a kitchen space to prepare food, the vendor must attach a letter from the owner of the kitchen space confirming that the food is prepared at that location. A copy of the kitchen’s most recent public health inspection report shall be included.
How to apply
Individuals or groups planning to organize or operate any event where the general public is invited and will consume food or beverages must notify Hamilton Public Health Services by completing and submitting the Application Forms below at least 14 days prior to the event.
Download the special events packages for more information and fill out the included application:
You must return organizer and vendor applications no later than 14 days prior to the event.
Cost for application
- A fee of $40 (includes HST) is charged per vendor for special events and festivals.
- The special event coordinator is responsible for paying the full fee to Public Health Services.
- Only one cheque or money order will be accepted for payment for each event. Please do not submit payment before your event. You will be invoiced after the event if inspections were required.
- Refreshment vehicles fully licensed by the City of Hamilton are not required to pay the $40 vendor fee.
- An additional fee of $30 (includes HST) is charged per vendor if the application is not received at least 14 days ahead of the event.
For any questions about your food safety package contact:
Public Health Services, Food Safety Program
110 King Street West, 2nd Floor (Robert Thomson Building)
Hamilton, Ontario L8P 4S6
Fax: 905- 546-2787
Email: [email protected]
- Date modified: