To apply for a marriage licence you will need:
- The proposed date you are planning to marry
- If divorced, Divorce Certificate
- Proof of identification (two pieces of ID)
- Additional information may be required
How to apply for a marriage licence
Bring your completed Marriage Licence Application Form (PDF, 24 KB) and licence fee to any Municipal Service Centre location.
- Fee: $153 for a marriage licence. You can pay cash, money order, debit or credit card.
- Review marriage licence requirements before completing the application form.
Municipal Service Centres
Find a location near you
Hours vary by location
How to get a marriage certificate
A marriage certificate is the legal record of a marriage. You can either purchase a Short Form Certificate which lists the date and place of the marriage, and names of the people who were married. The Long Form Certificate is an actually copy of the Marriage Licence.
You need this document to:
- show legal proof you are married
- apply for certain social benefits
- settle an estate
- change a last name
A Record of Solemnization of Marriage is not the same thing as a marriage certificate.
Before you can get a marriage certificate, a marriage needs to be registered. The official who performed the marriage will do this by sending a complete and signed marriage licence to Service Ontario.
If you were married in Ontario, you can order or get a copy of a marriage certificate online.
If you were married outside of Ontario, check with the Vital Statistics office for the province you were married in.
- Date modified: