Marriage Licence Requirements

In Ontario, there are no residency or citizenship requirements or blood tests and medical certificates requirements in order to obtain a marriage licence. However, you will be required to certify information under oath. Bring an interpreter to assist you if you do not understand or are not able to read English.

Marriage licences are valid for use anywhere in Ontario for three months from the date of issue.

In accordance with the Marriage Act, people 18 years of age and above can get a marriage licence provided the completed application and additional required information is submitted.

If you are 16 or 17 years of age, you must submit a completed Consent of Parent of Guardian to Marriage Form signed by both parents or legal guardians when you apply for a marriage licence. You can also get a paper copy from the City Clerk's Office.

To get a marriage licence each person must have two pieces of government-issued identification.  If identification documents are in a language other than English, translation by an authorized translator is required.

The first piece of ID must be either a:

  • Birth certificate, including any change of name certificates
  • Current passport
  • Record of immigrant landing
  • Residency Card
  • Refugee Status followed by government issued photo ID

Followed by a second piece of government issued Photo ID. Examples:

  • Ontario ID Card
  • valid driver's licence
  • valid Ontario Health card with photo
  • It must be an original application signed by both parties.
  • You must show the original ID or documentation for your absent partner.

Canadian divorce

If you were granted a divorce in Canada from a previous marriage, you must bring one of the following with your marriage licence application: Original Certificate of Divorce, Decree Absolute, or Court-certified true copy of either Document.  Please ensure the Certificate is stamped or sealed, as some provinces only seal upon request.

Do not bring these documents, as they are not acceptable:

  • Photocopies of documents
  • Divorce Judgement
  • Divorce Order
  • Decree Nisi issued by the Court
  • Non sealed or stamped certificates

We will return all documents.

Divorce outside of Canada

If you annulled or dissolved your previous marriage outside of Canada, you must get permission from the Office of the Registrar General before we issue you a marriage licence.

To get permission, you or your lawyer must send the following by mail:

  • A completed marriage licence application signed by both applicants.
  • One of :
    • The original Certificate of Divorce
    • the Decree Absolute
    • Court-certified copy of these documents. A court-certified copy means certified by the proper court officer in the jurisdiction that granted the divorce or annulment.
    • If the documents are not in English or French, include a translated copy with an affidavit sworn by the translator.
  • A Statement of Sole Responsibility for each divorce signed by both applicants. Get a paper copy at the City Clerk's Office or online at the Registrar General of Ontario.
  • A legal opinion from an Ontario lawyer addressed to both applicants, giving reasons why the divorce or annulment should be recognized in Ontario.

Mail these documents to:

The Office of the Registrar General
PO Box 4600
189 Red River Road
Thunder Bay, Ontario P7B 6L8

Widows or widowers

Widows or widowers do not have to show a death certificate to get a marriage licence.