The Mountainbrow Trail Initiative #4 forms part of the Mountainbrow Trail Master Plan Feasibility Study initiated in 2017 and passed by City of Hamilton Council in July of 2018. The goal of the feasibility study was to assess the feasibility of a continuous and integrated route along the top of the Niagara Escarpment that begins at the Iroquioia Heights Conservation Area and terminates at the Devils Punch Bowl. More information on the stakeholder engagement process and to access the full report can be found at: www.hamilton.ca/MountainBrowPathway
Trail initiative #4 is an existing route that runs between Sanatorium Road and Scenic Drive in Ward 14. It was identified in the Feasibility Study for redevelopment and is a project that is being undertaken by the City of Hamilton’s Landscape Architectural Services (LAS) Group. Branding and signage created for this trail segment will serve as the template for future officially recognized Mountainbrow Trail Initiatives.
The existing gravel trail is approximately 2-metres wide and existing amenities along the trail include:
- Chain link fencing
- Spot lighting
- A bench with a grassed look-out area
The trail facility will be upgraded based on the recommendations in the Mountainbrow Trail Feasibility Master Plan. These uprgades include:
- Widening the trail (note: due to the sensitivity of the woodlot, alternative surface material to asphalt will be explored)
- Mountainbrow standard bench and decorative fencing along the edge of the escarpment
- Mountainbrow directional sign branding
- The replacement of the existing light with a Mountainbrow standard light will be explored
- Fall 2019 Concept development and initiation of required studies
- Winter 2019/ 2020 Online survey and Public Information Centre (PIC). Date, location and time to be announced for the PIC. Once created the link to the online survey will be posted to this webpage.
- 2020 Detailed design, studies and permitting from external agencies
Please note that this project is identified in the City of Hamilton’s Capital Budget to receive funding for construction in 2022. Any changes to this timeline will be posted to this project web-page.
If you have any questions or wish to submit a comment, please contact:
Phone: 905-546-2424 ext. 1303
Email: [email protected]
- Date modified: