2021 Census data for Hamilton
The City of Hamilton’s 2021 population increases by 6%, surpassing the Provincial Average of 5.8%. The population increased by 32,435 to 569, 355 in 2021 from 536,920 in 2016. Associated with this increase, is an increase of total occupied dwellings by 5.3% or 11,205 units to 222,805 dwelling units in 2021 from 211,605 dwelling units in 2016.
- 2021 Census Population and Dwellings by community for Hamilton (PDF, 2 MB)
- 2021 Census Population Changes by ward and community for Hamilton (PDF, 2 MB)
View census data on the Stats Can Website as we work on adding to Open Hamilton.
Population Demographics mapping
2016 Census data for Hamilton
2016 Census data for Hamilton
- 2001 to 2016 Population and occupied private dwellings by community for Hamilton (PDF, 13 KB)
- 2016 Census Population and dwelling counts by census tracts for Hamilton (PDF, 53 KB)
2016 Statistics Canada
2011 Census data for Hamilton & Statistics Canada profiles
2011 Census data for Hamilton
- 2006 and 2011 Census population by sex and age cohort for Hamilton (table) (PDF, 15 KB)
- 2006 and 2011 Census population by sex and age cohort for Hamilton (chart) (PDF, 67 KB)
- 2001, 2006 and 2011 Population and occupied private dwellings by community for Hamilton (PDF, 15 KB)
- 2011 Census population by sex and 10 year age cohorts by community for Hamilton (table) (PDF, 12 KB)
- 2011 Census population by sex and 5 year age cohorts by community for Hamilton (table) (PDF, 31 KB)
- 2006 Population undercount notes for Hamilton (PDF, 42 KB)
- 2011 Marital status, household and dwelling structure for Hamilton (table) (PDF, 75 KB)
- 2001, 2006 and 2011 Population and dwelling counts by ward for Hamilton (table) (PDF, 11 KB)
2011 Statistics Canada profiles
Census definitions from Statistics Canada
2016 and 2011 population
Statistics Canada is committed to protect the privacy of all Canadians and the confidentiality of the data they provide to us. As part of this commitment, some population counts of geographic areas are adjusted in order to ensure confidentiality.
The adjustment to counts of the total population for any dissemination block is controlled to ensure that the population counts for dissemination areas will always be within 5 of the actual values. The adjustment has no impact on the population counts of census divisions and large census subdivisions.
Total private dwellings
'Private dwelling' refers to a separate set of living quarters with a private entrance either from outside the building or from a common hall, lobby, vestibule or stairway inside the building. The entrance to the dwelling must be one that can be used without passing through the living quarters of some other person or group of persons. For more information, refer to the Census Dictionary: Private dwelling.
Private dwellings occupied by usual residents
'Private dwelling occupied by usual residents' refers to a private dwelling in which a person or a group of persons is permanently residing. Also included are private dwellings whose usual residents are temporarily absent on May 10, 2016. For more information, refer to the Census Dictionary: Private dwellings occupied by usual residents.
Source: Statistics Canada, 2016 Census of Population
GIS Planning & Analysis
City Hall, 6th Floor
Phone: 905-546-2424 ext. 1222
Email: GIS-Planning&[email protected]
- Date modified: