Claremont update: Second down-bound lane opening Wednesday, full down-bound closure Tuesday evening
As a newcomer, finding a place to live is an important part of the settlement process. Canada Mortgage and Housing Corporation website offers information on Housing for Newcomers in multiple languages.
Hamilton offers different housing options to residents from all walks of life. From townhouses to studio apartments to luxury lofts, the city has a wide variety of housing options at affordable rates.
In 2012 and 2013, Site Selection Magazine out of Atlanta, Georgia and the Calgary-based Real Estate Investment Network ranked Hamilton as the best place to the invest in Canada and Ontario respectively.
Revitalization and redevelopment of the Downtown abounds with major residential, commercial and institutional projects creating a “live, work, play and learn” green environment.
- MacNab Transit Terminal on MacNab Street
- The Film Lofts on King William Street
- McMaster University Medical Centre
- Staybridge Suites Hotel on George Street
- CBC Digital on James St. N
- Art Gallery of Hamilton Retail Shop on James St. N
- Greater proportion of residents in household forming years (20 to 34)
- Fewer children
- Downtown is home to 2% of city’s population but 7% of city’s recent immigrants
- One quarter of downtown residents (aged 25-64) have been to university
- Over 24,000 people work downtown
- One quarter in Public Administration
- One quarter of downtown workers earn $60,000
- 31% of downtown workers have been to university
- Creative/Digital businesses are bringing downtown growth
- Lower commercial office tax compared to neighbouring cities
- Date modified: