Housing Options

Low Income Housing

Starting your housing search

To begin your housing search, contact the Housing Help Centre of Hamilton. It is a non-profit social service agency that provides free information, advocacy and support to people who need housing, especially people with low incomes. The Housing Help Centre provides supports for people looking in the private and social housing markets.

Housing Help Centre of Hamilton
119 Main Street East
Hamilton, ON
Phone: 905-526-8100
Fax: 905-528-1448
Email: [email protected]

Subsidized housing

About one quarter of the rental housing in Hamilton is subsidized housing (also known as social housing). Subsidized housing means that the rent is geared to your income or the rent is below the rental market price. To apply for subsidized housing contact:

Access to Housing (ATH)
350 King St E, Suite 110 (First Place)
Hamilton, Ontario, L8N 3Y3
Phone: 905-546-2424 ext. 3708
Fax: 905-546-2809
Email: [email protected]

Who can apply for subsidized housing?

The following are conditions to qualify for subsidized housing:

1. All members of the household must be a:

  • Canadian Citizen, or
  • Permanent resident, or an applicant for permanent resident status, or
  • Refugee or a refugee claimant.

You must attach proof of status for each member of your household to your application for subsidized housing.

2. At least one person in your household must be 16 years of age or older and able to live independently. You must attach proof of age to your application.

3. Any member of your household who owes rent to any social housing provider within Ontario must have entered into an agreement with the housing provider for the repayment of the rent owing.

4. Any member of the household cannot have been convicted of an offence related to rent-geared-to-housing under the Residential Tenancies Act or a crime under the Criminal Code in the last two years.

5. If anyone in your household has a financial interest in another home anywhere in the world, you must agree, in writing, to divest yourself of the property within one-year of getting housed.