Studying in Hamilton

After Graduation

Hamilton has one of the most diverse economies in Canada. In 2012 and 2013 the city was ranked as the top place to invest in Ontario and Canada as well as having the fastest growing economy in Ontario.

Jobs and business opportunities

Logo collage of Hamilton resources to help in the job search

Working in Hamilton

International students in Canada may gain work experience by working off campus while completing their studies.

Off-campus employment requires an off-campus work permit. Information about the requirements for work permit is available through Citizenship and Immigration Canada.

Finding a job 

The City of Hamilton welcomes and encourages our international students to stay and work in Canada after graduation. If you are here on a student/study visa, you will have to apply for a work visa upon graduation. A work visa allows you to work in Canada for up to three years following graduation.


Canada is making it easier for international students to remain in Canada permanently after completing your studies. 

If you have a job offer from an employer, you may have the opportunity to live and work permanently in Canada. Masters Graduates and PhD Graduates are not required to have a job offer. You could also be eligible to work in Ontario with a post-graduation work permit for up to three years after you graduate. You may be eligible to stay permanently in Canada through the Canadian Experience Class, Opportunities Ontario Program, or another program.