Learn more about the provincial framework and how our community’s collective effort can prevent and contain the spread of the virus...
As a student you can opt to live on campus of off campus.
City of Hamilton Student Housing
Student apartments are available at 191 Main Street West
We have unfurnished self-contained bachelor apartments for students that are quiet and ideal for study. Located in Hess Village, just a short walk to downtown Hamilton. City buses and GO transit stop at the corner with easy access to McMaster University and Mohawk College. Flexible leases are available.
Features and Amenities
- $581 per month includes heat and hydro
- Four piece bath
- Full kitchen
- Full balcony
- Full width picture window
- Unfurnished self-contained bachelor apartments
Flexible leases are available - stay as long as you are a student
- Lobby convenience stores
- Coin laundry
- City buses and GO transit stop at the corner with easy access to McMaster University and Mohawk College
- Short walk to downtown Hamilton
- Located in vibrant Hess Village
Sorry – no parking available. One person per room.
Maps & bus routes
191 Main St. West is serviced by the following City of Hamilton transit (HSR) bus routes:
To McMaster University:
- Route 1 - KING, Route 5 - DELAWARE, Route 10 - B LINE EXPRESS and Route 51 - UNIVERSITY (about 4 kms)
- Current HSR Bus Schedules
- Bus pass included in McMaster student fees
To Mohawk College:
- Route 24 - UPPER PARADISE, Route 35 - COLLEGE
- Five minute walk to downtown HSR bus terminal
- Current HSR Bus Schedules - All HSR bus schedules, bus stops and route maps are posted online for your convenience.
City of Hamilton Bus Fares and Conditions
Find information on obtaining a monthly pass, using the GO Transit system and information about fares.
191 Main St. W is also serviced by the GO Transit system:
- GO Transit Lakeshore West (#1), Toronto QEW Express (#16),
- McMaster University Express (#15) and Highway 407 West (#46)
- 10 minute walk to downtown GO bus and train terminal
- View GO Transit Schedules
You must be a full-time student of Mohawk or McMaster to apply to live in the student apartments; no other students will be accepted. Apartments become available on a regular basis. If you sign-up to be notified, we will contact you to submit an application and make an appointment for viewing.
How to apply for student housing
You must complete a full application to rent an apartment. We send the application to you by email. To accept an application, we must have the following:
Proof of being a full-time student. Any two of the following is acceptable:
- Current ID card from school
- Statement from the registrar
- Notification of acceptance for the following year
Evidence of ability to pay rent for the year. Two or more of the following are acceptable:
- Name of previous Canadian landlord where we can verify you paid your rent on time
- Letter from parent(s) or other relatives saying they will be liable for rental payments if you do not do so. If your relative is not present, this letter must be notarized
- Letter from parent indicating the amount of monthly support
- Evidence of a student loan, bursary, or grant
- Evidence of employment - cheque stubs or similar
- Bank statement indicating sufficient funds to pay full rent
- Full payment for term
Your application will be approved for a specific apartment and move-in date. We will draw up a lease for you to sign. The lease is a legal document with rights and obligations for you and us. We will explain the terms before you sign the lease. The first month’s rent must be paid when you sign the lease with cash, certified cheque or money order.
Student housing fire safety and carbon monoxide alarms
For many students, attending college or university also involves a move to a new city and the search for affordable housing off campus. While affordability may be a key issue in determining where you will live, another consideration that you should consider is fire safety.
Property owners, students, parents and the Hamilton Fire Department all share a responsibility to ensure that off campus housing is in compliance with all applicable fire safety regulations.
The Fire Protection and Prevention Act and the Ontario Fire Code regulate fire safety requirements for all occupancies, including student housing. The Hamilton Fire Department conducts inspections in all homes occupied as student housing on a complaint basis. If you have any concerns or questions regarding fire safety in your residence, contact the Hamilton Fire Department, Fire Prevention Division at 905-546-2424 ext. 1380 weekdays between 8:30 am and 4:30 pm.
All residential occupancies including student housing must have an operational smoke alarm on each floor level of the home and outside of all sleeping areas. In addition, the Ontario Fire Code now regulates the installation of carbon monoxide alarms in residential buildings. To determine carbon monoxide alarm requirements in your home, contact the Fire Prevention Division at 905 546-2424 ext. 1380, weekdays between 8:30 am and 4:30 pm.
Email Student Housing: [email protected]
- Date modified: