Ballot on Demand Pilot is Being Launched for the 2022 Municipal Election
A Ballot on Demand system consists of an epoll book and a printer, that enables a ballot from any of the City’s Wards to be printed for an elector on site once eligibility and identity is verified.This technology will allow electors to attend a designated Ballot on Demand Poll and receive their Ballot, regardless of where they live in the City.
Ballot on Demand Poll Locations
At Post-Secondary Institutions
- The Elections Team has been engaging with Post-Secondary Institutions in our community to provide an opportunity for students to receive and cast a ballot on campus for the ward where they reside
- Ballot on Demand Polls will be available for students on October 18, 2022 at McMaster University, Mohawk College, and Redeemer University
At Drop in Shelter Locations
- The City has been engaging with local organizations to understand barriers to voting for individuals experiencing homelessness and those living in shelters.
- To provide opportunity for voting, Polls will be set up on October 21, 2022 at Men’s and Women’s drop-in shelter locations for voters in these locations to cast a ballot.
- The Elections team is working with local organizations to finalize Poll Locations for these sites.
At the Hamilton Regional Indian Centre
- The Elections Team is engaging with the Indigenous Community to listen and learn about past experiences and historical oppressions and barriers related to the electoral process.
- We are pleased to have been invited to hold a municipal election poll at the Hamilton Regional Indian Centre on October 21, 2022.
- This Poll Location presents an opportunity for Indigenous votors who wish to cast a ballot to do so in a welcoming setting.
Frequently Asked Questions
Where is the Ballot on Demand System being Piloted in Hamilton?
The City is piloting the Ballot on Demand systems for Students at Post-Secondary institutions, McMaster University, Redeemer University and Mohawk College. Additional Ballot on Demand Pilot locations are being finalized, and information will be released as soon as it becomes available.
What is the benefit of a Ballot on Demand?
A ballot on demand process provides greater convenience for electors as they are able to vote at a site that is convenient to them, regardless of whether it is in their ward.
Why is the Ballot on Demand not being provided for all poll locations?
For the 2022 Municipal Election, the City is piloting the Ballot on Demand system in a selected number of sites. A smaller pilot will allow staff to assess the technology and identify benefits and challenges that might exist in a larger implementation. Following the election, a fulsome review will be conducted to determine the viability of implementing the technology on a larger scale for the 2026 Municipal Election.
- Date modified: