Voter Information

Election Banner

What you need to know for election day Monday, October 22, 2018

Below is some important information you should know to make sure your vote counts.

Advance Polls begin Thursday, October 4

Thursday, October 4 from 10 am to 7 pm
Saturday, October 6 from 10 am to 5 pm
Tuesday, October 9 from 10 am to 7 pm
Thursday, October 11 from 10 am to 7 pm
Saturday, October 13 from 10 am to 5 pm

Ward 1
October 4, 6, 9, 11, 13
Dalewood Recreation Centre
1150 Main Street. W.

Ward 2
October 4, 6, 9, 11, 13
City Hall
71 Main St. W.

Ward 3
October 4, 6, 9, 11, 13
United Steelworkers Centre
1031 Barton St. E.

Ward 4
October 4, 6, 9, 11, 13
Sir Winston Churchill Recreation Centre
1715 Main St. E.

Ward 5
October 4, 6, 9, 11, 13
Dominic Agostino / Riverdale Community Centre
150 Violet Dr.

Ward 6
October 4, 6, 9, 11, 13
Huntington Park Recreation Centre
87 Brentwood Dr.

Ward 7
October 4, 6, 9, 11, 13
Sackville Hill Seniors Recreation Centre
780 Upper Wentworth St.

Ward 8
October 4, 6, 9, 11, 13
Westmount Recreation Centre
35 Lynbrook Dr.

Ward 9
October 4, 6, 9, 11, 13
Valley Park Community Centre
970 Paramount Dr.

Ward 10
October 4, 6, 9, 11, 13
Saltfleet Community Centre
605 Hwy. 8, Stoney Creek

Ward 11
October 4, 6, 9, 11, 13
Glanbrook Arena
4300 Binbrook Rd.

Ward 12
October 4, 6, 9, 11, 13
Ancaster Rotary Centre
385 Jerseyville Rd. W.

Ward 13
October 4, 6, 9
Dundas Lions Community Centre
10 Market St. S., Dundas

Ward 13
October 11, 13
Beverly Arena
680 Hwy. 8, Rockton

Ward 14
October 4, 6, 9, 11, 13
Chedoke Twin Pad Arena
91 Chedmac Dr.

Ward 15
October 4, 6, 9, 11, 13
Harry Howell Arena
27 Hwy. 5 W.


Am I on Voter’s List?

Confirm you are on the Voter's List

Eligibility to vote

You are eligible to vote in the election for municipal council if you meet all of the following requirements:

  • you are a Canadian citizen
  • you are aged 18 or older
  • you qualify to vote in the municipality

As a resident elector if you live in the municipality. You may own, rent, live in shared accommodation where you do not pay rent or live in the municipality but do not have a fixed address. Being a resident elector is the most common type of eligibility.

As a non-resident elector if you own or rent property in a municipality, but it’s not the one where you live. You can only be a resident elector in one municipality. However, you can be a non-resident elector in any other municipality (or municipalities) where you own or rent property.

As the spouse of a non-resident elector if your spouse owns or rents property in the municipality or municipalities other than the one where you live.

You do not qualify to vote in a municipality if:
Neither you nor your spouse qualify as a non-resident elector if you do not personally own or rent the property in the municipality. For example, if the property is owned by your business or your cottage is owned by a trust, you would not qualify as a non-resident elector.

There is a special rule for students who may be living away from home while they attend school. If you are a student and consider your “home” to be the place where you live when you are not attending school (i.e. you plan on returning there), then you are eligible to vote in both your “home” municipality and in the municipality where you currently live while attending school.

If you qualify to vote in more than one municipality, you can vote in all of those municipal elections. For example, if you qualify as a resident elector in one municipality, and a non-resident elector in three other municipalities, you can vote in all four of those municipal elections. The exception to this rule is if two or more of the municipalities are in the same region.

What you need to vote

When you arrive to vote in person you must show identification to prove that you are the person whose name appears on the voters’ list. The identification must show your name and address. Photo identification is not required.

  • You must present one of the following documents showing your name and address:
  • Ontario driver’s licence
  • Ontario Health Card (photo card)
  • Ontario Photo Card
  • Ontario motor vehicle permit (vehicle portion)
  • cancelled personalized cheque
  • mortgage statement, lease or rental agreement relating to property in Ontario
  • insurance policy or insurance statement
  • loan agreement or other financial agreement with a financial institution
  • document issued or certified by a court in Ontario
  • any other document from the government of Canada, Ontario or a municipality in Ontario or from an agency or such a government
  • any document from a Band Council in Ontario established under the Indian Act (Canada)
  • income tax assessment notice
  • child tax benefit statement
  • statement of employment insurance benefits paid T4E
  • statement of old age security T4A (OAS)
  • statement of Canada Pension Plan benefits T4A (P)
  • Canada Pension Plan statement of contributions
  • statement of direct deposit for Ontario Works
  • statement of direct deposit for Ontario Disability Support Program
  • Workplace Safety and Insurance Board statement of benefits T5007
  • property tax assessment
  • credit card statement, bank account statement, or RRSP, RRIF, RHOSP or T5 statement
  • CNIB Card or a card from another registered charitable organization that provides services to persons with disabilities
  • hospital card or record
  • document showing campus residence, issued by the office or officials responsible for student residence at a post-secondary institution
  • document showing residence at a long-term care home under the Long-Term Care Homes Act, 2007, issued by the Administrator for the home
  • utility bill for hydro, water, gas, telephone or cable TV or a bill from a public utilities commission
  • cheque stub, T4 statement or pay receipt issued by an employer
  • transcript or report card from a post-secondary school A Canadian passport is not an acceptable identification document because you write your address inside your passport yourself. If your name is on the voters’ list and you do not have identification, you may fill out and sign a declaration that you are the person whose name appears on the list.

You are entitled to three hours in which to vote on voting day. This does not mean you can take three hours off work. It means you’re allowed to be absent to give yourself three hours of voting time. Typically this is at the start or end of your working hours. For example, voting hours are normally from 10 am to 8 pm If your working hours are from 10 am to 6 pm, you are entitled to leave one hour early so that you would have from 5 pm to 8 pm to vote.

(Your employer may decide when it would be most convenient for you to be absent in order to vote. For example, if you work from noon to 6 pm, your employer may decide that you should come in at 1 pm, rather than leave work at 5 pm.)

Voting Proxy

If, for any reason, you will be unable to personally cast your ballot, you may appoint someone to go to the voting place and cast a ballot on your behalf. This person is called your voting proxy.

To appoint a voting proxy, you, the person you want to vote for you and a witness must complete an Appointment of Voting Proxy. You must know who you want to appoint as your proxy when you fill out and sign the form. The person you want to appoint must be eligible to vote in the election, and should be someone you trust to mark the ballot in the way you have instructed them to.

Appointment of Proxy Forms are available at the City Clerk’s office located on the first floor of City Hall and, beginning on Tuesday, September 4, they are available at all Municipal Service Centres.

If someone has appointed you as their voting proxy you must take the completed forms to the municipal clerk to get them certified. Once the forms have been certified, you may cast a vote on behalf of the person who appointed you.

  • If you are appointed as the proxy for one family member you may also be appointed as the proxy for additional family members.
  • Family member refers to a spouse, sibling, parent, child, grandparent or grandchild. There is no limit to the number of times you may be appointed, but it must only be for family members. You cannot be appointed as a proxy for a non-family member and a family member at the same time.
  • If you are appointed as the proxy for a person who is not a family member, you can act as the proxy for this 1 person only. You cannot be a proxy for anyone else.

Candidates for Mayor and City Councillors

Candidates for School Trustees

Voter Information Guide

This Guide has been prepared by the Ministry of Municipal Affairs to provide information to voters in municipal and school board by-elections. The Guide has been updated to reflect amendments made to the Municipal Elections Act, 1996 in Bill 181 (Municipal Elections Modernization Act, 2016) and Bill 68 (Modernizing Ontario's Municipal Legislation Act, 2017).

Review the Voters' Guide for Ontario Municipal and School Board By-Elections