The purpose of the Downtown or West Harbourfront Remediation Loan Program purpose is to stimulate residential and/or commercial development or redevelopment on properties requiring remediation such as brownfield properties within Downtown Hamilton or the West Harbourfront.
The program will provide financial assistance through a low interest loan equal to 80% of the cost of remediating a property within the defined areas to a maximum of $400,000 per property or project. The loan is to be a bridge until the property owner receives their ERASE Redevelopment Grant money or the Hamilton Downtown Property Improvement Grant.
Qualifying owners are owners of properties who qualify for financing under the ERASE Redevelopment Grant Program and/or the Hamilton Tax Increment Grant Program.
Qualifying properties are properties that fall within the Downtown Hamilton or West Harbourfront as defined by the Downtown Hamilton Community Improvement Project Area or the boundaries of the Setting Sail Secondary Plan.
Eligible program costs are the same as those established for the ERASE Redevelopment Grant Program excluding LEED eligible component costs.
Eligible costs include:
- The cost of any action taken to reduce the concentration of contaminants on, in or under the eligible property to permit a record of site condition (RSC) to be filed for the proposed use by a qualified person, including costs of preparing the RSC; Phase II and Environment Site Assessments (ESA’s), risk assessments or remedial work plans not covered by the ERASE Study Grant Program
- Installing environmental and/or engineering controls/works, as specified in the Remedial Work Plan and/or Risk Assessment and/or Certificate of Property Use
- Monitoring, maintaining and operating environmental and/or engineering controls/works, as specified in the Remedial Work Plan and/or Risk Assessment and/or Certificate of Property Use
- Demolition not covered by demolition charge credits (Area 3 only)
- Removal of existing on-site infrastructure prior to replacement up to a minimum of 25% of construction/improvement costs for on-site public works (water services, sanitary sewers and storm sewers) (Area 3 only)
- Certain relocation/removal costs for existing and operating industrial manufacturing and transportation uses, where such costs relate to or contribute directly to the actual remediation and rehabilitation of the site (Area 3 only).
The following terms specifically apply:
a) The improvements made to buildings and/or land shall be in accordance with the Ontario Building Code and in compliance with all applicable City by-laws, official plans, zoning requirements and site plan approvals.
b) All owners receiving approval for a City loan under this Program shall be required to enter into a Loan Agreement with the City.
How to apply
- Review the full program description, including program terms. (PDF, 179 KB)
- Complete the Downtown Hamilton or West Harbourfront Remediation Loan Program application form (PDF, 316 KB) and submit in person or by mail to:
City of Hamilton
71 Main Street West, 7th Floor
Hamilton, Ontario, L8P 4Y5
Attention: Phillip Caldwell, Senior Project Manager – Urban Renewal
- You will need to pay the $339 administration fee when you submit your application.
Senior Project Manager – Urban Renewal
- Date modified: