The Barton-Kenilworth Tax Increment Grant Program provides an economic means for developing, redeveloping or renovating residential/commercial lands and buildings located within the:
- boundaries of the Barton Village Business Improvement Area
- Barton and Kenilworth commercial corridors
- properties that front on Barton Street between James Street North and Victoria Avenue North as identified in the Downtown and Community Renewal Community Improvement Project Area By-law.
The program will approve a nine year grant, the amount of which is subject to Council approval, in an amount not exceeding the increase in municipal realty taxes.
The increase in municipal realty taxes (City portion only) will be based on either the year in which the building permit that initiated the development/redevelopment was issued or, for properties where the proposed development/redevelopment does not require a building permit, the year in which City Council approved the grant amount, and, the first full year in which the property is reassessed.
Properties must meet these qualifying criteria to be eligible:
- Projects that include developing, redeveloping or renovating residential / commercial lands and buildings within the boundaries of the Barton Village BIA, the Barton and Kenilworth commercial corridors and the properties that front on Barton Street between James Street North and Victoria Avenue North as identified in the Downtown and Community Renewal Community Improvement Project Area By-law (PDF, 2 MB).
- Approval of the application and estimated grant amount is subject to City Council approval. Such application shall be submitted and only received if it is prior to the owner’s commencement of improvements / rehabilitation to their property and shall include plans, estimates, contracts and other details as may be required to satisfy the City as to the cost of the project and as to the conformity of the project with the objectives of the Downtown and Community Renewal Community Improvement Plan.
- Such project is also required to be in compliance with the City’s Official Plan policies, other by-laws and policies, including but not limited to zoning, site plan approval, design guidelines, heritage matters including preservation of historical buildings. The compliance of each application with the criteria of this Program and the estimated amount of the Property’s grants (within the permitted terms of this Program) is at the discretion of and subject to Council approval.
- All parking lots and vacant sites are eligible. Properties upon which commercial, residential or industrial buildings are cleared and demolished are eligible, with the exception of designated heritage buildings.
- This program shall not apply to an existing or proposed Adult Entertainment Parlour, Body Rub Establishment, Correction Facility, Corrections Residence, Emergency Shelter, Lodging House or Residential Care Facility as defined in the Zoning By-law.
How to apply
- Review the full program description, including program terms. (PDF, 136 KB)
- Complete the Barton-Kenilworth Tax Increment Grant Program application form (PDF, 258 KB) and submit in person or by mail to:
City of Hamilton
71 Main Street West, 7th Floor
Hamilton, Ontario, L8P 4Y5
Attention: Hazel Milsome, Co-ordinator of Urban Renewal Incentives
- You will need to pay the administration fee when you submit your application. For grants that are $12,500 or less, the administration fee is $254.25. For grants that are more than $12,500, the administration fee is $870.10.
Application period: Applications will be accepted to the end of December 2018.
- Date modified: