Claremont update: Second down-bound lane opening Wednesday, full down-bound closure TONIGHT
The Commercial Facade Property Improvement Grant Program provides financial assistance for commercial property owners or authorized tenants within:
- Downtown Hamilton
- Community Downtowns
- Mount Hope/Airport Gateway
- the commercial corridors as identified in the Downtown and Community Renewal Community Improvement Project Area (PDF, 7 MB).
The Commercial Facade Property Improvement Grant Program aims to:
- improve upon the physical appearance of properties within the areas
- achieve quality façade improvements
- support commercial property and business owners with limited rehabilitation of interior space
- assist in creating a barrier-free and accessible environment.
Spurring the preservation, revitalization and reinvestment of commercial properties within these areas will assist in creating a welcoming environment for people to live, work, play and learn.
To be eligible for this program, these requirements must be met:
- You are the property owner or authorized tenant.
- Your commercial property is located within Downtown Hamilton, Community Downtowns, the Mount Hope/Airport Gateway or, a commercial corridor as identified in the Downtown and Community Renewal Community Improvement Project Area By-law (PDF, 182 KB).
- Property taxes have been kept up to date.
- Proposed work will be pre-inspected by a City Building Inspector.
- The improvements shall be in accordance with Property Standards and the Ontario Building Code and in compliance with all applicable City by-laws, official plans, zoning regulations, design guidelines and site plan approvals.
Eligible improvements to qualify for program
- replacement or repairing of storefronts
- iImprovements and or upgrades to windows, doors, cornices and parapets
- barrier-free entrances to property (ramps, doors and automatic door openers)
- addition of new lighting and upgrading of existing fixtures, on exterior of the façade
- awning replacements and/or additions
- brick repairs and/or pointing
- painting and façade treatments
- installation or improvement of signage (signage must comply to Sign By-law 10-197, as amended or replaced)
- paving of parking lots
- outdoor furniture
- permanent landscape features such as flagstone and natural stones/rocks, statuary, irrigation, containers
- front-yard decks, patios or side-yard decks and patios that abut a street
- surveillance cameras affixed to the exterior of the property (must comply to the Fortification By-law 10-122)
- barrier-free washrooms
- ramps to access barrier-free washrooms
- widening of doors to meet Accessibility for Ontarians with Disabilities Act (AODA) requirements
- interior signage to meet AODA requirements
- commercial kitchen cooking exhaust/ventilation systems
- sprinkler systems
- Architectural, engineering, lawyer’s, BCIN designer, building permit, site plan application, road occupancy permit, street occupancy permit and encroachment agreement application fees may be eligible for up to 100% of the cost to a maximum of $3000 per application as part of the total grant awarded for completed construction.
Other improvements deemed health, safety and accessible issues eligible at the sole discretion of the General Manager of Planning and Economic Development.
The following are in-eligible improvements to qualify for the program:
- trees, shrubbery, perennials, annuals, soil, mulch and grass
- roofing, apart from mansard roofs above the eligible frontage
- Interior furniture, display cases equipment
- outdoor patio furniture
How to apply
- Review the full program description, including the program terms (PDF, )
- Complete the Commercial Property Improvement Grant Program application form (PDF, 452 KB) and submit in person or by mail to:
City of Hamilton
71 Main Street West, 7th Floor
Hamilton, Ontario, L8P 4Y5
Attention: Hazel Milsome, Co-ordinator of Urban Renewal Incentives
- You will need to pay the $248.60 administration fee when you submit your application.
Application period: Applications accepted until April 1. Improvements funded under this program must be completed no later than December 31 of the same year. Subject to availability of funding.
- Date modified: