The Commercial Property Improvement Grant Program provides financial assistance for commercial property owners or authorized tenants within:
- Downtown Hamilton
- Community Downtowns
- Mount Hope/Airport Gateway
- the commercial corridors as identified in the Downtown and Community Renewal Community Improvement Project Area (PDF, 7 MB).
The Commercial Property Improvement Grant Program aims to:
- improve upon the physical appearance of properties within the areas
- achieve quality façade improvements
- support commercial property and business owners with limited rehabilitation of interior space
- assist in creating a barrier-free and accessible environment.
Spurring the preservation, revitalization and reinvestment of commercial properties within these areas will assist in creating a welcoming environment for people to live, work, play and learn.
To be eligible for this program, these requirements must be met:
- You are the property owner or authorized tenant.
- Property taxes have been kept up to date.
- Your commercial property is located within Downtown Hamilton, Community Downtowns, the Mount Hope/Airport Gateway or, a commercial corridor as identified in the Downtown and Community Renewal Community Improvement Project Area By-law (PDF, 182 KB).
- The improvements shall be in accordance with Property Standards and the Ontario Building Code and in compliance with all applicable City by-laws, official plans, zoning regulations, design guidelines and site plan approvals.
How to apply
- Review the full program description, including the program terms (PDF, 235 KB)
- Complete the Commercial Property Improvement Grant Program application form (PDF, 452 KB) and submit in person or by mail to:
City of Hamilton
71 Main Street West, 7th Floor
Hamilton, Ontario, L8P 4Y5
Phone: 905-546- 2424 ext. 2755
- You will need to pay the administration fee when you submit your application:
- The fee is $96.05 for grants of $5,000 or less
- The fee is $265.55 for grants greater than $5,000
Application period: Applications accepted until April 1. Improvements funded under this program must be completed no later than December 31 of the same year. Subject to availability of funding.
- Date modified: