Claremont update: Second down-bound lane opening Wednesday, full down-bound closure Tuesday evening
A mobile sign can be readily moved from one location to another, and may be part of or attached to a wheeled trailer or frame without wheels but does not include a Temporary Sign. A mobile sign requires a Sign permit.
Apply for a Sign By-law permit for a mobile sign
Complete the Mobile Sign application form (PDF, 58 KB) and submit in person or by fax to:
One Stop for Business, Licensing Counter
71 Main Street West, 1st Floor, Hamilton, Ontario
Refer to the Business Licence Reference Guide (PDF, 234 KB) to determine the mobile sign application fee. You can pay by cash, cheque (payable to the City of Hamilton) or credit card.
Mobile sign requirements
A mobile sign must:
- Be located on the property of the business advertised on the sign.
- Have the sign owner’s name and phone number on the sign.
- Have a sticker displayed on the sign from the sign company who leases or rents the mobile sign. The sign company must have a business licence.
- Be located where it will not be a safety hazard
- Not be placed on property that is owned by the City.
- Not be illuminated, be moving, animated, or cause noise.
- Not be located on vacant property or in a required parking space.
- Be only displayed for a 14 day permit period. A maximum of 2 consecutive display periods, after which there must be a 14 day hiatus from any sign being displayed on this property before another permit period can begin.
- Mobile signs are not allowed on a property within the Downtown Community Improvement Project Area (PDF, 275 KB), a Business Improvement Area, the Ancaster Village Core Area, or within the Glanbrook Village Core Area.
- A maximum of 6 permits for a single business on a property for a total yearly allowance of 84 days.
Exceptions for mobile signs
You can use a mobile sign to advertise a grand opening or closing promotional event, but it must meet the following criteria:
- Have a special permit
- Displayed for maximum of seven days
- Used only once per business
- No other mobile sign exists on property
- No banner on property advertising the same event
- Must follow all other mobile sign requirements
- Date modified: