A mobile sign can be readily moved from one location to another, and may be part of or attached to a wheeled trailer or frame without wheels but does not include a Temporary Sign. A mobile sign requires a Sign permit.
Apply for a Sign By-law permit for a mobile sign
Complete the Mobile Sign application form (PDF, 58 KB) and submit in person or by fax to:
One Stop for Business, Licensing Counter
71 Main Street West, 1st Floor, Hamilton, Ontario
Refer to the Business Licence Reference Guide (PDF, 1 MB) to determine the mobile sign application fee. You can pay by cash, cheque (payable to the City of Hamilton) or credit card.
Mobile sign requirements
A mobile sign must:
- Be located on the property of the business advertised on the sign.
- Have the sign owner’s name and phone number on the sign.
- Have a sticker displayed on the sign from the sign company who leases or rents the mobile sign. The sign company must have a business licence.
- Be located where it will not be a safety hazard
- Not be placed on property that is owned by the City.
- Not be illuminated, be moving, animated, or cause noise.
- Not be located on vacant property or in a required parking space.
- Be only displayed for a 14 day permit period. A maximum of 2 consecutive display periods, after which there must be a 14 day hiatus from any sign being displayed on this property before another permit period can begin.
- Mobile signs are not allowed on a property within the Downtown Community Improvement Project Area (PDF, 275 KB), a Business Improvement Area, the Ancaster Village Core Area, or within the Glanbrook Village Core Area.
- A maximum of 6 permits for a single business on a property for a total yearly allowance of 84 days.
Exceptions for mobile signs
You can use a mobile sign to advertise a grand opening or closing promotional event, but it must meet the following criteria:
- Have a special permit
- Displayed for maximum of seven days
- Used only once per business
- No other mobile sign exists on property
- No banner on property advertising the same event
- Must follow all other mobile sign requirements
- Date modified: