A sidewalk sign is a temporary sign that is a free-standing and is typically shaped like an “A” or a “T” with one or two sign faces.
Apply for a Sign By-law permit for a Sidewalk sign
Complete the Sidewalk Sign application form (PDF, 164 KB) and submit in person or by fax to:
One Stop for Business, Licensing Counter
71 Main Street West, 1st Floor, Hamilton, Ontario
Refer to the Business Licence Reference Guide (PDF, 1 MB) to determine the sidewalk sign application fee. You can pay by cash, cheque (payable to the City of Hamilton) or credit card.
Sidewalk sign requirements
A sidewalk sign must:
- Only be displayed during business’ hours of operation
- Not exceed 0.6 metres wide by 0.8 metres high in size
- Not be permanently secured
- Be as close as possible to the front wall of the business being advertised to ensure sidewalks and walkways are safe
Additional regulations for signs in Business Improvement Areas, Ancaster Village Core, Community Improvement Project Areas etc:
- Signs can be placed on public sidewalks, adjacent to curb or front wall of business being advertised but not in the Urban Braille System
- You will need insurance coverage
- Date modified: