EarlyON Child and Family Centre service providers are responsible for managing and reporting on any serious incidents which affect the health, safety and well-being of children and caregivers attending EarlyON Child and Family Centres. Service providers report this information directly to the City of Hamilton.
Serious incident categories
The City of Hamilton defines a serious incident as:
- Death of a child or caregiver that occurs on the premises.
- Allegation of abuse and/or neglect of a child.
- Life-threatening injury to a child or caregiver or life-threatening illness of a child or caregiver that requires treatment by a regulated health professional (doctor, nurse, dentist, etc.) and/or a life-threatening injury that involves police, fire or ambulance/EMS/paramedics.
- An unplanned disruption of the normal operations of a child and family centre premises that poses a risk to the health, safety or well-being of children and families attending the centre:
c. Gas Leak
d. Detection of Carbon Monoxide
g. Other Emergency Relocation or Temporary Closure.
h. Suspected/confirmed case of COVID-19
- A situation with high potential for public criticism of the City and/or ministry and/or if the situation may lead to questions being asked by the media.
How to report a serious incident
EarlyON Child and Family Centre service providers are required to have a serious incident internal policy in place that addresses how to identify a serious incident; respond to a serious incident; and report a serious incident to the City of Hamilton.
- You will need to complete an online Serious Incident Report (SIR). You must submit the SIRs report within 24 hours of becoming aware of the incident.
- The City will review the information, and follow up accordingly.
Service providers are responsible for reporting all serious incidents, as defined in the categories above that occur in an EarlyON Child and Family Centres to the City of Hamilton.
EarlyON Child and Family Program Serious Incident Protocol
|Immediately||Child and Family Centre service providers will:
|Serious Incident Report (within 24 hours)||Child and Family Centre service providers will:
|Upon receipt of SIR||City of Hamilton will:
- Date modified: