In May 2014, the Skin Cancer Prevention Act (Tanning Beds) made it against the law to:
- Provide and sell tanning bed services or ultraviolet light treatments for tanning to anyone under the age of 18
- Advertise or market tanning bed services to youth under the age of 18
- Provide false or misleading information about the health effects or health risks of tanning bed use to anyone under 18 years.
Tanning bed operator requirements
Tanning bed operators must ensure they meet the following requirements:
- Your staff must refuse tanning bed services to:
- anyone under 18 years of age.
- anyone who cannot show acceptable ID proving they are 18 years of age and older.
- Your staff must check ID for customers who appear to be 25 years of age or less.
- Your staff must provide tanning bed users with protective eyewear for sale or use and teach them how to use it. They must clean and disinfect reusable eyewear between uses.
- You must make sure your staff are trained in the proper use of tanning devices, staff are on-site whenever the tanning device is in use and staff are in control of the timer. Self-tanning is not allowed.
- You must post four signs where tanning services or ultraviolet ligh treatments are sold: Point of Sale Warning Signs, Health Warning Signs and Age Restriction and Identification Decals. Print these signs or call 546-2489 to order.
- You and your staff must cooperate with public health inspectors to avoid charges.
- You must keep client records and make these available to inspectors if asked.
Register your tanning salon
If you own a tanning salon or operate a tanning bed, including ultraviolet light treatments for tanning, you must register your business with Public Health Services.
Call 905-546-2489 to register your tanning beds. You will need to provide:
- Your name and phone number
- Your business name, address and phone number
- The number of tanning beds at your premises
Public health staff visit tanning bed operations open to the public and meet with staff to enforce compliance. They also investigate complaints received. Tanning bed owners and operators can be fined up to $25,000 if any employee sells, offers or advertises tanning bed services to youth under age 18. A staff member can be fined up to $5,000 if they do not comply with the law.
Training for owners and staff
A free on-line training course is available to learn about the tanning bed regulation.
- Date modified: