Lamb Cemetery

Other Known Names English Church Cemetery, Flamborough-Lamb Cemetery
Location W/S Hwy 8, bet. Cooper/Seaton, W. Flamborough
Community Flamborough
Date Built 1855 (possibly 1845)
Size small, 12 monuments
Space Availability Closed for burials

 

Henry Lamb came to Beverly Township from Pennsylvania in 1810, having acquired over 2000 acres, with plans to operate a mill, a tavern, and a livestock producing farm. In 1830 he began the construction of an Anglican church in the little community. Named the English, it was planned as the centre piece of Lamb's proposed city which was to be called Romulus. Lamb died in 1840, so his city never materialized and slowly the buildings disappeared. By 1900, so had the church. The cemetery was initiated by the terms of Henry Lamb's will, but it was not until a decade after his death, that the executors were able to transfer the land to the Anglican Bishop of Toronto. The burial ground may have been in use as early as 1945, although the earliest stone dates from 1855. The cemetery closed about 1889, and was subsequently abandoned for many years. ///// The markers are no longer in their original location. In or around 1977 Flamborough Township cleared the site, laying most of the stones in a cement pad and leaving one upright. An accumulation of pine needles on the pad has resulted in the growth of vegetation and damage to some stones.