The Keep Hamilton Clean & Green Committee is offering a Clean & Green Neighbourhood Grant of up to $1000, which provides one-time funding for community green projects and initiatives. Applicants can apply for grants of $500 or $1,000 ($500 project funding + $500 Insurance/Waste Hauling funding to recover out-of-pocket expenses for large-scale projects). The maximum an organizer/group is eligible to receive is $1,000 per calendar year.
- The grant will assist groups in achieving measurable and sustainable results for projects in their neighbourhoods that support the overall goals and objectives of the Clean & Green Hamilton Strategy.
- The Clean & Green Strategy encourages activities and behaviours that address litter, illegal dumping, graffiti, beautification and environmental stewardship. A clean and green neighbourhood leads to improved health, prosperity, safety and well-being of all residents.
What can be funded
The Clean & Green Neighbourhood Grant applies to projects that focus on one of the five focus areas of the Clean and Green Strategy:
- Illegal dumping
- Environmental stewardship
Initiatives within the boundaries of the City of Hamilton that are conducted by volunteers and do not fall under any City of Hamilton, Conservation Authority, or RBG volunteer engagement programs.
Applicants are responsible for obtaining appropriate permissions for any projects and initiatives for which they are seeking funding.
Examples of eligible projects include:
- Initiatives aimed at changing litter and illegal dumping behaviours
- Managing graffiti (diversion, clean up)
- Encouraging native plant life and tree planting
- Building or enhancing community gardens
- Other methods of maintaining and improving ecological integrity of both public and privately owned properties
In the case of privately owned properties, consideration will be given where the property has some connection to the outside community.
Projects and initiatives receiving other forms of funding from the City of Hamilton are not eligible.
- Informal groups (led by a resident and working with at least three members)
- Formal groups, including Neighbourhood Associations
- Not-for-profit corporations
- Any informal/formal group or not-for-profit corporation receiving other forms of funding from the City of Hamilton for the same project
- For-profit corporations
- Project/event supplies
- Event advertising
- Artist honorariums
- Sundry expenses
- Insurance and waste hauling costs for large-scale clean and green initiatives. If applying for insurance and waste hauling costs, please ensure you check the box on Page 1 of the application form.
- Fundraising activities
- Minor and major capital expenses
- Direct financial assistance to individuals or families
- Duplicate existing public or private programs/events
- Alcohol, tobacco, or gambling expenses
Retroactive funding requests will not be considered. Groups can only apply for one project/activity at a time. Events undertaken by groups may only be funded one time per year. Groups may apply for another project/activity once they have submitted their final report to the City.
Submit completed applications by 4 pm on the submission due date to be considered at the next Keep Hamilton Clean and Green Committee meeting.
2017 Submission Due Dates: June 1, 2017 and September 1, 2017
Applications will be received in the following ways:
- Complete the 2017 Clean & Green Neighbourhood Grant online application
- Download the Word application form (DOC, 78 KB) and return by:
Attn: Staff Liaison, Keep Hamilton Clean & Green
City of Hamilton - Public Works, Policy & Programs
c/o City of Hamilton City Hall
71 Main St. West
Hamilton, Ontario L8P 4Y5
Subject: Clean & Green Neighbourhood Grant Application
Decisions will be made on submitted applications within four weeks. Subject to change based on quorum or changes to the Keep Hamilton Clean and Green Committee schedule. All applicants who have submitted an application where a schedule change will affect the review of their application will be advised accordingly.
To ensure appropriate planning time, it is strongly recommended that you apply at least two months before the project/event start date. Applications will only be considered for activities/events that do not occur during the four-week review period.
The Keep Hamilton Clean & Green Committee reviews applications at its monthly meeting. Approval of the grant application, including acceptance of all or a portion of the requested grant amount, is at the discretion of the Keep Hamilton Clean & Green Committee.
Please note that any scheduled Keep Hamilton Clean & Green Committee meeting is always subject to change. If this occurs, applicants will be notified and applications will be reviewed at the next scheduled meeting.
Successful applicants are required to maintain all relevant receipts and provide the Keep Hamilton Clean & Green Committee a final report their project/ activity and final expenses within one month after the end date indicated on the application.
- Date modified: