Learn more about the provincial framework and how our community’s collective effort can prevent and contain the spread of the virus...
The Keep Hamilton Clean & Green Committee is offering a Clean & Green Neighbourhood Grant of up to $1000, which provides one-time funding for community green projects and initiatives. Applicants can apply for grants of $500 or $1,000 ($500 project funding + $500 Insurance/Waste Hauling funding to recover out-of-pocket expenses for large-scale projects). The maximum an organizer/group is eligible to receive is $1,000 per calendar year.
- The grant will assist groups in achieving measurable and sustainable results for projects in their neighbourhoods that support the overall goals and objectives of the Clean & Green Hamilton Strategy.
- The Clean & Green Strategy encourages activities and behaviours that address litter, illegal dumping, graffiti, beautification and environmental stewardship. A clean and green neighbourhood leads to improved health, prosperity, safety and well-being of all residents.
What can be funded
The Clean & Green Neighbourhood Grant applies to projects that focus on one of the five focus areas of the Clean and Green Strategy:
- Illegal dumping
- Environmental stewardship
Initiatives within the boundaries of the City of Hamilton that are conducted by volunteers and do not fall under any City of Hamilton, Conservation Authority, or RBG volunteer engagement programs. Applicants are responsible for obtaining appropriate permissions for any projects and initiatives for which they are seeking funding. Examples of eligible projects include:
- Initiatives aimed at changing litter and illegal dumping behaviours
- Managing graffiti (diversion, clean up)
- Encouraging native plant life and tree planting
- Building or enhancing community gardens
- Other methods of maintaining and improving ecological integrity of both public and privately owned properties
In the case of privately owned properties, consideration will be given where the property has some connection to the outside community. Projects and initiatives receiving other forms of funding from the City of Hamilton are not eligible.
- Informal groups (led by a resident and working with at least three members)
- Formal groups, including Neighbourhood Associations
- Not-for-profit corporations
- Any informal/formal group or not-for-profit corporation receiving other forms of funding from the City of Hamilton for the same project
- For-profit corporations
- Project/event supplies
- Event advertising
- Artist honorariums
- Sundry expenses
- Insurance and waste hauling costs for large-scale clean and green initiatives. If applying for insurance and waste hauling costs, please ensure you check the box on Page 1 of the application form.
- Fundraising activities
- Minor and major capital expenses
- Direct financial assistance to individuals or families
- Duplicate existing public or private programs/events
- Alcohol, tobacco, or gambling expenses
Retroactive funding requests will not be considered. Groups can only apply for one project/activity at a time. Events undertaken by groups may only be funded one time per year. Groups may apply for another project/activity once they have submitted their final report to the City.
Approval of grant applications and funding amounts is at the discretion of the Keep Hamilton Clean & Green Committee. Members of the Keep Hamilton Clean & Green Committee will review all applications and award funding based on alignment with the Clean & Green Hamilton Strategy. Funding decisions will be approved by the Keep Hamilton Clean & Green Committee each spring.
Please ensure that you leave an appropriate amount of time before your intended project/event start date. Applications will only be considered for activities/events that will take place after the Committee review period.
Successful applicants are required to save maintain all relevant provide receipts and provide these to the Keep Hamilton Clean & Green Committee, along with a final report on their project/ activity and final expenses within three one months after the project/activity is completed. Final reports may be either written reports or an in-person presentation at a Keep Hamilton Clean and Green Committee meeting. With applicants’ permission, stories and photos from successfully completed projects may be shared publicly online.
Phone: 905-546-2424 ext. 5089
Email: [email protected]
Mail: Attn: Staff Liaison, Keep Hamilton Clean & Green
City of Hamilton - Public Works
c/o City of Hamilton City Hall
71 Main St. West
Hamilton, Ontario L8P 4Y5
- Date modified: