Whether you're in a park, on a trail, on a sidewalk or on a road; whether you're in a car, on a bike, on a walk or on a bus, you can keep Hamilton clean and green by putting waste in the right place!
If you live and work in Hamilton, putting waste in the right place is the same when you're out and about as it is when you're at home.
Help keep valuable recyclables out of our one and only landfill. Water bottles, pop cans, coffee cup lids and juice cartons are a few of the containers that can be recycled.
Make sure candy wrappers, coffee cups, cigarette waste and fast food containers go in the right receptacle and don't end up as litter in our beautiful parks, trails and roadways.
Put waste in the right place!
Why do I need to put waste in the right place?
Hamilton is an environmentally conscious community:
- Hamilton residents use their recycling blue boxes and green carts. This has helped extend the life of our only landfill. We're still working towards our goal of 65% diversion from landfill.
Hamilton is a community with great civic pride:
- We appreciate our unique geological features including the Niagara escarpment, Lake Ontario, Hamilton Harbour, Cootes Paradise and our 125 waterfalls.
- We enjoy more than 430 parks, 49 kilometres of City-owned trails and 2,800 acres of open space.
- We respect these natural and manmade environments and want to keep them clean and green.
Hamilton spends a lot on keeping sidewalks, roadways and parks clean:
- We spend about $2.3 million a year to contain and prevent litter on public property. Imagine what those tax dollars could be invested in if we all put waste in the right place.
Hamilton is home to environmentally aware businesses:
- Many Hamilton businesses recycle, compost, reduce litter and help the environment.
- Pioneer Energy has the Put Waste in the Right Place recycling program in all of its Hamilton area gas stations.
- Pioneer is the City of Hamilton's corporate sponsor of Put Waste in the Right Place.
- Date modified: