Due to the impact of COVID 19 response measures, the Clean & Green team is unable to accommodate new registrations for Team Up to Clean Up. Registration is anticipated to reopen after May 25, 2020.
Residents are encouraged to review all guidelines and precautions related to COVID-19 issued by federal, provincial and municipal public health agencies and take this information into consideration before planning or hosting a clean up event.
Team Up to Clean Up is a year-round city-wide community cleanup program. This program provides all the tools you need to run a community cleanup including gloves, recycling bags and specially marked garbage bags. Approximately 25,000 volunteers participate in Team Up to Clean Up each year and invest more than 45,000 volunteer hours to help clean our community.
The program helps keep public places in your neighbourhood clean and safe for everyone. You can host a cleanup event on City property including:
- Parking lots
Register for Team Up to Clean Up
Pick an area in your neighbourhood to cleanup, and get started by:
- Organizing a team and registering your event at least two weeks before your planned event date.
- Pick up your supplies at the location selected on registration.
- Run your event and dispose of any waste as indicated on registration.
Cleanup follow up report
After your event, you must complete the follow up report. The report:
- Confirms the cleanup was completed successfully.
- Highlights the important cleanup work done by volunteers.
- Provides additional information to Council regarding the effectivenes of the program.
Organizing Your Team Up to Clean Up Event
Find volunteers by encouraging your friends, family and neighbours to join your cleanup event. Choose your location, set the date, and then promote!
Choose a location
Select an area where you've noticed a lot of litter. Here are some location ideas for your cleanup event:
- Sporting events
- Neighbourhood streets
- Vacant lots or parking lots (ensure you have the owners permission)
- Parks, trails or play areas
- We discourage cleanups near busy streets due to safety concerns.
Set the date
Arrange a date and time that will ensure a good turnout of volunteers. Set a rain date in case of bad weather.
Promote your cleanup event
Share before and after photos of your event cleanup on social media using #cleanhamont and don’t forget to post your event on our Facebook page.
Review Team Up to Clean Up Safety Information
It is important that all Team Up to Clean Up volunteers have read the safety information and understand what to do if they come across any hazardous items.
- Visit the cleanup location before your cleanup date to look for possible hazards.
- Arrange for adult supervision if you have youth volunteers.
- Make sure volunteers are safe during the event.
- Wear a safety vest or bright clothing so volunteers can find you easily in an emergency.
- Have all volunteers work in pairs or small groups.
- Ensure all volunteers wear work gloves and closed toe shoes.
- Have young volunteers ask an adult first if they are unsure about picking up a piece of litter.
- Remind volunteers to wash hands before eating and at the end of the day.
- Keep sunscreen and insect repellent on hand.
- Make sure all volunteers drink water and keep hydrated.
- Suspend the cleanup during bad weather (fog, thunder and lightening).
Do not allow volunteers to pick up anything that could be hazardous to their health. This includes:
- hypodermic needles
- jagged glass or other sharp objects
- animal carcasses
- urine bottles
- heavy objects
- air brakes
If you come across any hazardous items, flag them and call 905-546-2489.
Picking up your supplies
All groups who register for Team Up to Clean Up and other City of Hamilton Clean & Green programs receive orange litter bags, clear recycling bags and work gloves.
Arrange for a volunteer to pick up your supplies from the Municipal Service Centre you selected on your application form. Most Municipal Service Centres are open between 8:30 am and 4:30 pm Monday to Friday (except statutory holidays). Check Municipal Service Centre locations and hours online before you visit.
Disposing of litter
The litter you collect from your Team Up to Clean Up event should be placed curbside at your house on your waste collection day. All litter must be put in orange Team Up to Clean Up bags to be exempt from your curbside garbage limits. These bags are only available to groups who have registered with Team Up to Clean Up and other City of Hamilton Clean & Green programs. Do not use your trash tags on these bags.
You can put out as much recycling as you need on your waste collection day. Place recycling in your blue box or the clear plastic bags provided by Team Up to Clean Up.
Our Community Partners
The City of Hamilton supports local community groups and organizations that help keep Hamilton clean and green. These groups organize regular cleanups that are open to the public to participate. Contact any of these groups to join one of their cleanup teams or participate in a one-time cleanup:
To add your group to this list, contact: [email protected]
Great Canadian Shoreline Cleanup
The City of Hamilton is an official ‘Clean Shoreline Community’ with the Great Canadian Shoreline Cleanup, a conservation partnership by Ocean Wise and WWF-Canada. You can help keep Hamilton’s shoreline litter free by cleaning up any area where land connects to water, including lakes, rivers, streams and even parks or schoolyards (near storm drains). Since 1994, there have been 19,400 cleanups that have collected more than 1.2 million kg of trash across Canada’s shorelines. Register your Team Up to Clean Up event with the Great Canadian Shoreline Cleanup to be a part of the national movement to keep our shorelines clean!
Clean Canada Together
In 2017, Canada celebrated the 150th anniversary of Confederation. To recognize this milestone year, ten communities and regions proudly participated in a simple initiative dubbed #CleanCanadaTogether. To date, over 305,000 participants across Canada have collected over 690 TONNES of litter! The City of Hamilton is a partner in #CleanCanadaTogether - join us to be part of the goal of a cleaner Canada!
Clean & Green Team
Email clean&[email protected]
- Date modified: