In an effort to help reduce unnecessary and expensive repairs and maintenance to City owned sports fields, fields will be consideredunplayable if the following conditions exist:
- Visual ponding of water on the surface of the field/diamond
- Water sponging up around your feet when walking on the field/diamond
If either of these conditions exists, then the practice will be cancelled, or game rescheduled.
Poor weather conditions leading to cancellations will result in a credit on the Permit holder’s account. The credit will accumulate throughout the season and will be applied to the following season’s contract.
If a user group arrives at a field/diamond where these conditions exist, the user group will be asked not to play on the field/diamond by League Administrators, Game Officials and/or City staff.
In situations where City staff and/or Officials are not present, the League will ensure the Policy is adhered to. Several factors must be considered, including the safety of the participants, the possibility of liability through accident or injury, and the unnecessary expense of field/diamond repairs and maintenance.
If a group ignores the “unplayable” conditions, the following consequences may occur:
- The permit holder will be required to pay for all damages to the field/diamond arising from abuse to the facility where the permitted group is proven responsible.
- The permit holder will be held liable and responsible for accidents or injuries incurred because of unsafe conditions.
- The permit holder will have their permit suspended or revoked for any future use of a field/diamond controlled by the City of Hamilton.
The Recreation Division staff will ensure all sports groups have received the Rain Out Policy. They will email the policy to the groups in May for notification purposes.
Permit holder notification
- For Mohawk Sports Park, contact Park staff at 905-546-4401 by 1 pm weekdays and 8 am on weekends to determine field/diamond playability.
- For all other locations, please contact Facility Bookings at 905-540-5590 between 2 to 4:30 pm, Monday through Friday.
On weekends and statutory holidays Park staff will contact user groups when weather is predicted of affect playability but the responsibility also falls on the Permit holder to contact the City for possible cancellations due to inclement weather.
- The Recreation Facility Booking Clerks will contact Permit holders via e-mail, phone or fax of City cancellations received during office hours.
- After office hours, Park staff will contact Permit holders but it is also the responsibility of the Permit holder to check the status of the diamonds/fields prior to the start of their games.
- Cancellations will be posted on this page.
- If Park staff closes a field/diamond after business hours or on weekends, they will contact Facility Bookings by 10 am the following business day so that Permit holder’s accounts can be adjusted accordingly.
- Permit holders who have not utilized a field/diamond due to Rainout conditions, must call Facility Booking by noon the following day.
- Where the game was scheduled for the weekend, the Permit holder must notify Facility Booking staff by noon the following Monday.
Baseball diamond or soccer/ football field closures
Mohawk Sports Complex – Bernie Arbour
1100 Mohawk Road East, Hamilton
Bernie Arbour - Open
2016 Opening dates for diamonds and fields - all dates weather pending
|"A" Class Diamonds||Opening Date||Closing date||Notes|
|Bernie Arbour||May 2||October 1||Extended closing possible for McMaster University baseball|
|Mohawk 1||May 2||October 31||Extended closing for Mohawk College softball games|
|Victroia 1||May 9||October 1|
|Volunteer 1||May 2||October 1|
|"B" Class Diamonds||Opening Date||Closing Date||Notes|
|Ancaster Community Centre 1-4||May 2||October 1|
|Glanbrook 1||May 9||October 15||School Board baseball programs are in October|
|Eastdale Park 2||May 9||October 1|
|Edwards Park 2||May 9||October 1|
|Heritage 1 & 2||May 9||October 1|
|Joe Sam's 1||May 9||October 15||School Board baseball programs are in October|
|Joe Sam's 2||May 9||October 1|
|Mahoney 3||May 9||October 1|
|Martino Memorial 1||May 9||October 1|
|Mohawk 2, 4, 5||May 9||October 31||School Board baseball programs are in October|
|Mohawk 3, 6||May 9||October 1|
|Mt. Hope Community Park 1||May 9||October 1|
|Rosedale Park/King's Forest 1 & 2||May 9||October 1|
|Turner Park 5-12||May 9||October 3||Extended closing for NSA Provincials only|
|Valley Park 1||May 9||October 1|
|Waterdown Memorial 1 & 2||May 9||October 1|
|"C" Class Diamonds||Opening Date||Closing Date||Notes|
2, 3, 4, 13, 14
|May 9||October 3||Extended closing for NSA Provincials only|
|Remainder Class "C" Fields||May 9||October 1|
|"A" Class Fields||Opening Date||Closing Date||Notes|
|Billy Sherring - Field 1||May 9||September 1|
|HAAA Grounds||June 1||October 31|
|Heritage - Field 1, 2||May 9||October 1|
|Heritage - Field 3, 5||May 9||October 15||Extended closing for HDOSL Challenge Cup|
|Heritage - Artificial Turf Field 4||April 4||November 7||Weather permitting|
|Joe Sam's - Field 1 & 2||May 9||October 9|
|Mohawk Sports Park - Field 1 & 2 (lights)||May 28||October 31||
|Mohawk Sports Park - Field 4 (lights)||May 28||September 1|
|Mohawk Sports Park - Field 3 (lights)||May 9||October 31|
|Mohawk Sports Park - Field 5, 6||May 9||October 1|
|Olympic/ Dundas - Field 2||May 9||October 1|
|Sackville - Field 1||June 1||October 31|
|Sherwood - Field 1||June 1||October 1|
|Mohawk Track||May 2||October 31|
|"B" Class Fields||Opening Date||Closing Date||Notes|
|Billy Sherring - Field 2||May 9||October 1|
|Joe Sam's - Field 8||May 9||October 1|
|Olympic/ Dundas - Field 1||May 9||October 1|
|Sherwood - Field 2, 5||May 9||October 1|
|"C" Class Fields||Opening Date||Closing Date||Notes|
|Remainder Class "C" Fields
Including open space
|May 9||October 31|
|"C" Class Exceptions||Opening Date||Closing Date||Notes|
|Cherry Heights 1||May 24||October 31||Delay in opening due to CYO Program in 2015 late fall|
|Cline Park 4C||May 24||October 31||Delay in opening due to CYO Program in 2015 late fall|
|Garth Street Reservoir 1||May 24||October 31||Delay in opening due to CYO/Reach Forth in 2015 late fall|
|Gatesbury 2||May 24||October 31||Delay in opening due to CYO Program in 2015 late fall|
|Sister of St. Joe's 1, 2, 3||May 24||October 31||Delay in opening due to CYO Program in 2015 late fall|
|T.B. McQuesten 1||May 24||October 31||Delay in opening due to CYO Program in 2015 late fall|
|Mount Lions Club Park||May 24||October 31||Delay in opening due maintenance work|
- Date modified: