Alexander Skate Park is a proposed +/-1,000m2 (10,764 Sq. Ft.) wheeled sport facility located within Alexander Park in West Hamilton (Ward 1). The concrete facility will be integrated with the park’s existing amenities and will cater to a variety of wheeled sports such as skateboarding, rollerblading, scooters and BMX bikes.
Alexander Park is a 4.17 hectare (10.32 acre) neighbourhood park located at 201 Whitney Avenue by Rifle Range Road. The park includes one hardball field, three softball fields, batting cages, a play structure (2020), swings, spray pad (2018), and a washroom/storage building.
In 2017, the City’s Recreation section completed an in-depth skateboard park study, which aided in identifying Alexander Park as the ideal site for this facility. The centralized location provides access for residents from Dundas and West Hamilton, is along a transit route and is close to several schools. In 2018, the existing wading pool/skate bowl was removed for the installation of a new spray pad and shade structure. The removal of the skate bowl kickstarted the city’s plans to install the skate park. Working with the Ainslie Wood Community Association and Alexander Park Minor Sports, it was determined that the removal of one softball field is required to accommodate the footprint of the skate park.
- October 4, 2021: Rider Focused Working Group Meeting 1. Results of rider questionnaire presented to the Working Group
- July to September 2021: Rider Focused Working Group formed. Rider questionnaires completed.
- June 25 to September 2021: Design consultant hired.
- May 1 to June 25, 2021: The City has received interest from 40 people to become part of the rider focused working group. This group is made up of riders from Dundas, West Hamilton and other areas within the City of Hamilton.
- June 8, 2021: Virtual project kickoff meeting held to introduce the project and request rider focused working group members.
- October 8, 2020 to April 2021: Internal coordination and preparations for virtual project kickoff meeting.
- Late 2019 to October 8, 2020: Project scope discussions with Ainslie Wood Community Association and Alexander Park Minor Sports.
Stakeparks. This team has been working with a Rider Focused Working Group (RWG) to create a series of 2 conceptual skate park design options. The 2 concepts will then be presented to the public at a virtual Public Information Centre (PIC). After the second PIC, an online vote will be held to choose the successful concept. The successful concept will then be developed into a detailed design and construction drawing set. The project will then be tendered and constructed (pending available budget).
- Rider Working Group Meeting 1 – Presentation (PDF, 1.98 MB)
- Rider Working Group Meeting 1 – Minutes (PDF, 208 KB)
- Public Meeting #1 Meeting Video
- Meeting #1 Questions and Answers (PDF, 126 KB)
- Alexander Skate Park Location Plan (1.79 MB)
- Meeting #1 mailout (PDF, 250 KB)
Keep In Touch
If you are not already part of our Alexander Park Skate Park circulation list and would like to be, please forward your contact information to [email protected] and we will be sure to keep you up to date on progress, workshops, meetings etc.
If you have any questions or wish to submit a comment, please contact:
Ken Wheaton, Project Manager
Landscape Architectural Services
Phone: 905-546-2424 ext 2289
Email: [email protected]
- Date modified: