Durand Park is located at 250 Park Street South in Ward 2 in the Durand Neighbourhood. The Durand Neighbourhood is the inner-city district bounded by Main Street West, James Street South, the Escarpment and Queen Street South. It is home to approximately 12,000 Hamiltonians. Durand Park to the Durand Neighbourhood is like Central Park to New York City and is regarded as the urban jewel in the beautiful historic Durand neighbourhood.
The Durand Neighbourhood Association played a major role in the creation of Durand Park from 1972-1975 when the City purchased lands to create this park. Since then the Association has raised money for general park improvements and events.
In 2008, the Durand Neighbourhood Association identified many concerns regarding the Durand Park. These included poor maintenance, outdated and unsafe playground equipment and lack of amenities to meet the growing populations and the changing needs of the community. The community was consulted and presentations were prepared and presented to City staff, the Ward 2 Councillor and to residents. The City subsequently replaced the play structures. The DNA hosted garden tours and monies raised were earmarked for park improvements and activities.
In 2012, the City approved funding to create a concept plan to renew Durand Park. A comprehensive community consultation process followed that included a design workshop, public information centres (PIC), and frequent updates in the Durander Newsletter. Detail design work started following approval of the concept plan and construction is scheduled to begin in September 2015 with the principle work to be completed by January 2016 and tree planting and landscape restoration in the spring of 2016.
- June 17, 2016 - Park was re-opened to the public
- September 21, 2015 - Park construction scheduled to begin
- September 14, 2015 - Tree removals in advance of construction
- August 21, 2015 - Construction contract awarded
- June 14, 2013 - Public Information Centre
- April 4, 2013 - Public Information Centre/Workshop
- 2012 - City approves capital budget to begin design for the redevelopment of the park
- April 4, 2008 - The DNA Park Revitalization Committee met with City officials to raise awareness to improve the park
The redevelopment of Durand Park includes:
- new trees
- entrance gateway feature at the corner of Charlton and Park St. South
- a spray pad
- sun shelter/pavilion
- regraded turf area for winter ice skating
- granular walkways with LED lights
- decorative benches
- game tables on a plaza by the spray pad\
- future plans for a decorative fencing around the park by the DNA
- Durand Park Planting Plan (PDF, 1 MB)
- Notice of Construction Activity - September 10, 2015 (PDF, 465 KB)
- Durand Park Final Concept Plan - June 12, 2014 (PDF, 5 MB)
- PIC/Workshop Summary - April 8, 2013 (PDF, 240 KB)
- PIC Notice - March 2013 (PDF, 194 KB)
If you have any questions or wish to submit a comment, contact:
Hin Tat Lam
Phone: 905-546-2424 ext. 4621
- Date modified: