The Hamilton Amateur Athletic Association Grounds known as H.A.A.A. is a 5.75 acre park located within the Kirkendall Neighborhood on the north side of Charlton Avenue West, just east of Locke St. It’s home to the Hamilton Tennis Club (private) along its North end, and abuts Ryerson Recreation Centre and Middle School on its east side, with private residents backing on to the parks westerly limits.
The H.A.A.A. Grounds are identified as a Cultural Heritage Landscape in the City of Hamilton’s Urban Hamilton Official Plan. The corresponding policies speak to the City protecting and conserving cultural heritage landscapes by encouraging land uses, development and site alteration activities that protect, maintain and enhance these areas within the City.
H.A.A.A Grounds served as home to:
- the Hamilton Tigers football club from 1872 to 1949 who in 1950 became the Hamilton Tiger-Cats that we know today.
- 7 Grey Cups between 1910 and 1923, along with other memorable sporting events which have been captured on an information placard at the park’s northwest entrance off Charlton Ave.
The site currently consists of these amenities:
- a natural turf sports field
- sport field lighting
- clay chip walking track
- splash pad with concrete surfacing
- playground area with swings
- asphalt basketball courts
- asphalt pathways
- general open space
The site is also home to the H.A.A.A. fieldhouse built circa 1930, which is currently the operational center of the Hamilton Hurricanes and Ironmen football clubs who have recently amalgamated to operate as one.
- June 14, 2018: Public Information Centre
- Public Information Centre (June 14, 2018)
If you have any questions or wish to submit a comment, contact:
Phone: 905-546-2424 ext 2347
Email: [email protected]
- Date modified: