The Hamilton Amateur Athletic Association Grounds known as H.A.A.A. is a 7-acre community park located within the Kirkendall Neighborhood on the north side of Charlton Avenue West, just east of Locke St. It’s home to the Hamilton Tennis Club along its north end and is abutting Ryerson Recreation Centre and Ryerson Middle School on its east side, with private residents backing on to the park’s westerly limits.
Landscape Architectural Services is developing a park Renewal Plan of the HAAA Grounds as the current amenities within the site are nearing the end of their service life and will need to be replaced. The Renewal Plan will develop an overall plan of the park that will be implemented in a phased approach in the coming years.
HAAA Grounds is the oldest “sports park” in the City of Hamilton and is rich in Hamilton sports history. It was the home to the Hamilton Cricket Club (1874-1910) and the Hamilton Rugby (Football) Club (1872 – 1949), it was also the location of 7 Grey Cup championships between 1910 and 1935.
In 1945, the City’s Parks Board purchased the HAAA Grounds and managed the grounds over the next 32 years before changing the overall landscape of the site to what we know today. As a result of community needs and desire for open space throughout the city, they began planning the conversion of the athletic grounds into a passive and recreational space, while keeping it’s sports heritage in tact. In 1977 the newly renovated HAAA Grounds was opened, and included a newly developed football/soccer field, the introduction of a clay track, trail systems, tree plantings and renovations to the existing brick clubhouse on Charlton which included the addition of washroom and shower facilities.
In 1993 the park underwent further development to better serve the community, which included the addition of the spray pad followed by the addition of a play structure in 1997.
Currently the park offers the following amenities and features, many of them constructed in the 90’s:
- Natural turf football field with sport specific lighting
- Clay running track
- Basketball Courts
- Spray Pad
- Play Structure
- Gardens along Charlton Avenue
- The clubhouse on Charlton Ave
- Hamilton Tennis Club (3rd party private operator)
- Asphalt pathways
- Tree Plantings
- Formerly used as an outdoor skating rink
- Virtual PIC 1 February 4 and February 6, 2021 - Project introduction and gather community feedback
- Virtual PIC 2 June 2021 - Date and time TBD. Concept design presentation and gather community feedback
- Virtual PIC 3 September 2021 - Date and time TBD. Final design presentation and gather community feedback
Public Engagement Documents
Virtual PIC 1
- Virtual PIC 1 Presentation (PDF, 3.7 MB)
- Virtual PIC 1 Questions & Answers (PDF, 227 KB)
- Virtual PIC 1 Meeting (video)
Virtual PIC 2
Virtual PIC 3
If you have any questions or wish to submit a comment, contact:
Project Manager, Landscape Architectural Services
Phone: 905-546-2424 ext 2347
Email: [email protected]
- Date modified: