Sam Lawrence Park is a 7.53 hectare (18.6 acre) park situated at the top of the Niagara Escarpment where the Jolley Cut meets Concession Street and Upper Wellington Street. It is best known for its panoramic views of the Lower City, the Dundas Valley, and Lake Ontario.
The City is planning for future park upgrades to Sam Lawrence Park. In July 2018 Hamilton City Council approved the staff recommendation to undertake a design Master Plan. The Master Plan is an important first step in considering existing and future uses for the park.
Many of Sam Lawrence Park’s existing features are in decline due to age, weathering, slope movements and vandalism and are in need of upgrade. As such, the City has the opportunity to re-examine the park’s existing uses and re-imagine future uses, through a Master Plan process: a process that was last undertaken in 1994. As the City and region continue to grow, this valued public space will take on more significance as a prominent city-wide park, serving local residents and those in the Hamilton region. The outcome of the Master Plan will serve as the blueprint for future park improvements in both the short term and long term.
This web page will serve as the main portal for the community to find up-to-date information about upcoming engagement sessions, online surveys, as well as the public feedback we’ve captured so far.
- August 1, 2019 Results of the online park user survey.
- June 8, 2019 Concession Street Streetfest pop-up booth, informing attendees of the Master Plan process and collecting feedback from the community.
- May 4, 2019 Walking Tour, exploring the park’s storied history, the issues / challenges currently affecting the site, and how it may better-serve Hamiltonians in the years to come. Meet at the park’s west parking lot (opposite Highcliffe Avenue). Tour from 1:30 to 3 pm.
- April 9, 2019 Public Advisory Group, discussing the Preliminary Evaluation Criteria (Criteria for Success), to be used to inform design decisions when preparing alternative design concepts.
March 26, 2019 Public Information Centre, to kick-start the process for developing a Master Plan
Hamilton Public Library - Concession Street Branch Hamilton, 5:30 to 7:30 pm, brief presentation at 6 pm
- August 1, 2019 Online Park User Survey Results
- June 8, 2019 Snapshot of Ideas We Heard from Streetfest
- May 4, 2019 Walking Tour Summary (PDF, 484 KB)
- April 9, 2019 Sam Lawrence Park Advisory Group Summary (PDF, 2.1 MB)
March 26, 2019 - Public Information Centre
Sam Lawrence Park Display Boards (PDF, 3.2 MB)
Sam Lawrence Park Presentation (PDF, 4.1 MB)
Sam Lawrence Park Consultation Summary (PDF, 10.5 MB)
If you have any questions or wish to submit a comment, please contact:
Landscape Architectural Services
Phone: 905.546.2424 ext.3662
- Date modified: