Looking for sports fields closures? Check our mapping tool!
In an effort to help reduce unnecessary and expensive repairs and maintenance to City owned sports fields, fields will be considered unplayable if the following conditions exist:
- Visual ponding of water on the surface of the field/diamond
- Water sponging up around your feet when walking on the field/diamond
If either of these conditions exists, then the practice will be cancelled, or game rescheduled.
Poor weather conditions leading to cancellations will result in a credit on the Permit holder’s account. The credit will accumulate throughout the season and will be applied to the following season’s contract.
If a user group arrives at a field/diamond where these conditions exist, the user group will be asked not to play on the field/diamond by League Administrators, Game Officials and/or City staff.
In situations where City staff and/or Officials are not present, the League will ensure the Policy is adhered to. Several factors must be considered, including the safety of the participants, the possibility of liability through accident or injury, and the unnecessary expense of field/diamond repairs and maintenance.
If a group ignores the “unplayable” conditions, the following consequences may occur:
- The permit holder will be required to pay for all damages to the field/diamond arising from abuse to the facility where the permitted group is proven responsible.
- The permit holder will be held liable and responsible for accidents or injuries incurred because of unsafe conditions.
- The permit holder will have their permit suspended or revoked for any future use of a field/diamond controlled by the City of Hamilton.
The Recreation Division staff will ensure all sports groups have received the Rain Out Policy. They will email the policy to the groups in May for notification purposes.
Permit holder notification
- For Mohawk Sports Park, contact Park staff at 905-546-4401 by 1 pm weekdays and 8 am on weekends to determine field/diamond playability.
- For all other locations, please contact Facility Bookings at 905-540-5590 between 2 to 4:30 pm, Monday through Friday.
On weekends and statutory holidays Park staff will contact user groups when weather is predicted to affect playability but the responsibility also falls on the Permit holder to contact the City for possible cancellations due to inclement weather by following the process under the rescheduling section.
- The Recreation Facility Booking Clerks will contact Permit holders via e-mail, phone or fax of City cancellations received during office hours.
- After office hours, Park staff will contact Permit holders but it is also the responsibility of the Permit holder to check the status of the diamonds/fields prior to the start of their games.
- Cancellations will be posted on this page.
- If Park staff closes a field/diamond after business hours or on weekends, they will contact Facility Bookings by 10 am the following business day so that Permit holder’s accounts can be adjusted accordingly.
- During the week: Permit holders who have not utilized a field/diamond due to rainout conditions, must send an email (a written confirmation) to [email protected] by 12 noon the following day during the week.
- During the weekend: Where the game was scheduled for the weekend and not utilized due to rainout conditions, the permit holder must notify Facility Bookings by email to [email protected] by 12 noon the following Monday.
- Date modified: