Was your home hit hard by the recent heavy rainfall on April 20, 2017, causing flooding to your basement?
The Recreation Fee Assistance Program provides City of Hamilton residents living with a low income the opportunity to participate in organized sports and recreation programs.
For families with dependents under the age of 18
- Free family pass to the recreation centre of your choice.
- Fee assistance on City recreation programs to a maximum of $150 value per child during a 12 month period.
- 50% fee assistance for City affiliated sports programs, to a maximum of $100 annually per child. (i.e. hockey, baseball, basketball, soccer, lacrosse, football and figure skating.)
For adults and seniors without dependents
- 75% off a yearly Participation Pass
- 50% off a yearly Waterfit Pass
Who can apply
To qualify you must meet of the following:
- You live in the City of Hamilton - must provide a photocopy of a document with your home address such as a property tax bill, utility bill, driver's license etc. dated within the last 60 days
AND one of the following:
- The entire family is receiving assistance from Ontario Works or the Ontario Disability Support Program - must provide a photocopy of your monthly Drug Benefit Card.
- Single adults who are receiving assistance from Ontario Works or the Ontario Disability Support Program - must provide a photocopy of your monthly Drug Benefit Card.
- Your family income falls below the Low-Income Cut-Off (LICO) for your family size (see chart to the right) - must provide a photocopy of last year’s Notice of Assessment from the Canada Revenue Agency.
You and your family are new Permanent Residents in Canada – you must provide your proof of residency papers (landing papers) for everyone in the household.
Note: You may only be eligible for a portion of the program.
2015 Statistics Canada Low-Income Cut-Off
|Family Size||Income (before taxes)|
How to apply
- Complete the Recreation Fee Assistance application form (PDF, 501 KB)
This form is also available for pick up at any City recreation centre, pool or arena.
- Ontario Works or Ontario Disability Support Program applicants must include a photocopy of your most recent monthly Drug Benefit Card which has each family member's name on it. If you have misplaced this card, please contact your case worker to obtain another one.
Low income applicants must include a photocopy of last year’s Notice of Assessment from the Canada Revenue Agency to cover the entire family. If you are not able to find last year’s Notice of Assessment you can call the Canada Revenue Agency at 1-800-959-8281 to obtain a copy of the "Income Tax Return - Information Regular" (which shows line 150).
- Send in your completed application with photocopies of your supporting documents using one of the following methods:
- Drop off to any recreation centre or pool
- By mail addressed to:
City of Hamilton – Community and Emergency Services
Recreation Division - Fee Assistance Program
Lister Block Building – 3rd Floor
P.O. Box 2040
Hamilton, Ontario L8P 4Y5
Your application will be reviewed and you will be contacted indicating whether you have been approved or not approved and the reasons why. This will take approximately 1 to 2 weeks upon receipt of the application.
We are offering current clients approved for the Recreation Fee Assistance Program an opportunity to purchase a maximum of three weeks of Camp Kidaca at the discounted price of $48.65 per week (all additional weeks are at the full rate).
- This rate is only applicable to those currently approved for the Recreation Fee Assistance Program
- You must pay the $48.65 with you own funds, as the city is covering the remainder.
- If you wish to register using your Fee Assistance funds you may do so, however you will be charged the full rate- and this can be done at your local recreation centre.
- Payment must accompany the 2017 Recreation Fee Assistance Program Camp Registration Form (PDF, 386 KB) found at any recreation centre and they can be dropped off at any City recreation centre or pool to be forwarded to the Fee Assistance office for processing. Camp registrations forms will not be processed without payment.
- New this year- The camp registration form is now fillable! Fill out the form and email to firstname.lastname@example.org. Then put a credit onto your account, using your RecConnect or visit any City of Hamilton recreation centre.
- Staff will send out a registration confirmation to you once your application is processed. If you do not receive this within 2 weeks of registering, please contact the office.
For more information
Phone 905-546-2424 ext. 4569
- Date modified: