Health Topics

Health Topics

Service at a Glance

Alcohol and Drugs

Alcohol and drugs can become a problem when using them gets in the way of how you are feeling, your health, work, school and other activities, your ability to cope and relationships with your family and loved ones. The City of Hamilton provides information on the following topics:

  • Opioids
  • Alcohol & Youth
  • Cannabis
When does the City issue a Heat Alert?

The City of Hamilton’s Heat Alert and Response System includes seasonal monitoring and three response stages. From May to September, we monitor weather forecasts, including the humidex for conditions that can increase health risks. 

When a forecast indicates a humidex at or above 40 C, we issue a heat alert. 

What parenting resources does the City of Hamilton provide?

The City provides information and resources to help you with parenting including

  • Car seats
  • Booster seats
  • Growth and development
  • Children’s behaviour
  • Bullying
  • Safety
  • Healthy Eating
Tobacco, Cannabis, Hookah and E-cigarettes

All smoke is harmful, whether it comes from tobacco, cannabis (marijuana) or from a hookah pipe (waterpipe); smoke is smoke.

  • Tobacco
  • Cannabis
  • Hookah
  • E-cigarettes 

Learn about the dangers of smoking and second-hand smoke and the resources available to help you quit.

Should my child be in a car seat or booster seat?

In Ontario, children weighing less than 18 kg (40 pounds) must use a car seat while travelling in a vehicle.

  • If your child weighs less than 9 kg (20 pounds), they must use a rear-facing car seat while travelling in a vehicle
  • If your child weighs more than 9 kg (20 pounds), they can use a forward-facing car seat while travelling in a vehicle

In Ontario, your child can use a booster seat if he weighs over 18 kg (40 pounds). Your child must use a booster seat until he is at least:

  • 46 kg (80 pounds) or
  • 145 cm (4 feet 9 inches) or
  • Eight years old

Keep your child in their car seat or booster seat until they reach the maximum height or weight limit.

Where can I get birth control?

Here are some places where you can get birth control in Hamilton:

  • Low-cost birth control is available at Sexual Health Clinics based on medical eligibility
  • Your doctor
  • Local walk-in clinic