Formula provides good nutrition for your growing baby during the first year. Your baby does not need other foods or fluids, such as water, herbal tea or cereal during the first six months. At six months, when your baby starts eating solid foods, your baby will still need to have formula until he or she is 9-to-12 months old.
Preparing infant formula safely is important for your baby’s health. Read Infant Formula: What You Need to Know (PDF, 11.2 MB) to learn more about:
- How to choose a formula
- How to safely prepare and store formula
- Learning when your baby is hungry and full
- How to feed your baby
The document is also available in these languages.
If you have questions or concerns about feeding your baby, contact:
- Your doctor, midwife or other health care provider
- Public Health Services in your area.
- In Hamilton phone Health Connections at 905-546-3550
If you have questions about feeding your baby or want to speak with a registered dietitian:
Eat Right Ontario
Phone: Toll-free 1-877-510-5102
- Date modified: