Was your home hit hard by the recent heavy rainfall on April 20, 2017, causing flooding to your basement?
A tan is when melanin, a substance inside your skin, turns dark from exposure to UV rays. When your skin turns darker, it shows that damage has been done. UV from tanning beds has the same effect as UV from the sun.
Tanning increases the risk of skin cancer and premature skin aging.
- Using a tanning bed will not offer protection against sunburns for a holiday in a sunny location.
- There is a direct link between the use of tanning beds and cancer.
- Excessive UV exposure can reduce the effectiveness of the immune system, possibly leading to a greater risk of infectious diseases.
Tanning Salon Rules
In May 2014, the Skin Cancer Prevention Act made it against the law to:
- Advertise tanning bed services to youth under the age of 18
- Sell tanning bed services to youth under the age of 18
Public health inspectors check places with tanning beds for compliance. They also investigate complaints about these places. Tanning bed operators can be fined up to $25,000 if any employee sells, offers or advertises tanning bed services to youth under age 18. Employees can also be fined up to $5,000 for a violation.
Report a salon for selling tanning bed services to youth under 18
If you have questions about the law or you want to report a salon for selling tanning bed services to youth under age 18 call 905-546-2489
- Date modified: