If you want to get a tattoo or piercing, go to a place licensed and inspected by the City of Hamilton.
Licensed tattoo and piercing shops in Hamilton
Call 905-546-2063 to ask a public health inspector about inspected tattoo or piercing shops in the City of Hamilton.
Health and safety for tattoos and piercings
If you want to get a tattoo or piercing, discuss safety with the artist. The artist should explain safe practices such as:
- Using single-use needles and razors. The artist should remove the needle from a sealed package in front of you.
- Safely disposing of used needles and razors.
- Washing hands before using gloves and using gloves for the procedure.
- Sterilized or disposable equipment. Boiling water or soaking instruments in alcohol do not sterilize instruments properly.
- Frequently cleaning surfaces and work areas.
- Cleaning your skin with an antiseptic before piercing.
- Providing you with information on how to care for your piercing or tattoo. Signs of infection include pain, redness, swelling, heat or oozing pus. Contact your doctor if you think you have an infection.
- Getting your name and phone number.
Tattooing or piercing can be risky if it is done in unsafe conditions - at home, in jail, with used needles or at a shop that does not know or follow safety guidelines.
- Date modified: