COVID-19 safety measures
The City is reopening 14 indoor and outdoor swimming pools. As part of our plan to gradually and safely reopen City facilities, these locations were specifically chosen for a variety of reasons, including:
- Ability to meet public health requirements
- Size of the pool to accommodate physical distancing and maximize the number of bathers
- No significant maintenance required before reopening
- Size of the lobby, change room, decks and swimming pool to accommodate physical distancing
- Facilities with limited high touch surfaces
- No major or minor capital maintenance planned at the facility
- Staff resources required to bring the facility online
- Locations to cover all parts of the city
Change rooms and showers will be available and will be regularly cleaned.
All of the typical COVID-19 precautions remain in place while using pools. These include:
- Keep two metres of physical distance between yourself and others who aren’t in your “social circle”
- Wash your hands: Use alcohol-based hand sanitizer or wash your hands with soap and warm water as soon as possible.
- Don’t use pools if you are sick or showing signs of being sick.
There will be no access to high-contact aquatic features such as slides and climbing structures
At this time, we are not planning to reopen any additional swimming pools this summer. A number of factors are impacting this decision, including limited staff resources in both the aquatics and facilities groups, ensuring staff are trained on the new public health guidelines, ensuring the facilities are prepared for reopening, and ensuring we are able to follow the guidelines set out by the province and public health related to water recreational facilities (i.e. additional cleaning and sanitization of washrooms, changerooms, showers, etc., ensuring the layout of the facility allows for residents to maintain physical distance, limiting pool capacity, resting areas, seating areas, etc.)