Safe Return to Play
The City of Hamilton welcomes the community back to our City-runmunicipal recreation programs and recreation facilities. We understand that returning to recreation activities may be a difficult decision for some. The measures below will be in place at all indoor recreation facilities to ensure the safe return of participants and staff to in person services.
- Masks required in all indoor spaces or outdoor line up areas (not required in the pool; strongly encouraged during fitness/sport activities)
- Customer service counters equipped with plexi barriers
- Face shields provided to employees providing customer service when plexi is not available
- Additional PPE and protocols during first aid administration
- Program and room capacities reduced to ensure participants can maintain 2m distance (3m for fitness programs in yellow/orange/red)
- Programs and services instructed while maintaining 2m distance
- Identified facility traffic flow and reduced changeroom amenities to ensure distancing in common areas
- Reservations required to access programs and reduce waiting or lines (yellow/orange/red)
- No team sport gameplay (red)
Stop the Spread
- Handwashing and sanitizer easily accessible to program spaces and entrances
- Participants encouraged to bring their own equipment
- Procedures to ensure frequent hand washing and a high degree of public health
- Number of visitors further restricted by reduced operating hours, event rentals, and greater spacing between programs
- Visits limited to 90 minutes (orange/red)
- Spectators restricted (except for 1 caregiver for each participant under 18) (orange/red)
- Health screening signage at the entrance of all facilities
- Enhanced health screening for all participants admitted into program spaces
- All employees complete health screening prior to entering the workplace
- Employee training on the proper use of cleaning and disinfectant products and enhanced cleaning schedules
- Enhanced disinfecting of common areas and high touch points
- Enhanced disinfecting of program spaces and equipment between users
- Contact tracing for all program participants and visitors
- Participant and program expectations will be clearly signed, including reduced space capacities, distancing requirements, or modified rules
- Safety plan is available upon request
Frequently Asked Questions
To further assist families with decision making we have provided the following answers to some frequently asked questions:
What programs are being offered?
Use our Program Finder to find both registered and drop in programs.
- Select “Courses and Lessons” in the left-hand tool bar for registered programs
- Select “Drop In Programs” for all other offerings
Registered and Drop in programs will be affected by the Safe Return to Play guidelines above and any regulations required by Ontario’s Covid-19 Response Framework. Updated information on current services available can be found at www.hamilton.ca/recreation.
Am I required to wear a mask during my program?
Yes. Wearing a mask or face covering is required in enclosed public spaces under the Reopening Ontario Act, 2020. The mask or face covering should cover is required to cover your nose, mouth and chin, without gapping.
All visitors to enclosed recreation facilities must wear a mask or face covering in all common areas including pool decks, changerooms and hallways unless exempted under the provincial regulation. Masks are strongly encouraged in all fitness or physical activity programs. Masks may be removed while swimming in the pool, however are required on deck and in changerooms.
What is an acceptable mask or face covering?
“Face covering” refers to a medical or non-medical mask, or other covering such as a balaclava, bandana, scarf, cloth or similar item that covers the nose, mouth and chin without gapping. Face shields or hard plastic masks which do not form a seal around the nose, mouth, and chin are not considered replacements for a mask.
Will I be permitted to stay as a spectator if I’m not attending a program?
Spectators and non-participants are not permitted within the program space or pool deck (parents required for participation or support workers assisting participants are considered participants and are allowed in the program space). Limited alternative viewing areas may be available at some locations and may be used if 2m or 6ft of physical distance can be maintained. Please do not gather around doorways or hallways to watch or wait for programs.
Note: Spectators, (with the exception of 1 care-giver for children under the age of 18) will not be permitted in facilities when the municipality is in the Orange or Red category within the Provincial COVID-19 Response Framework or higher.
Will I have access to a locker or changing area during my program?
Changerooms and showers will be open, however lockers or other amenities available may be reduced (showers, dryers, sinks). Please only bring what you need for your swim and arrive promptly at your program time to avoid changeroom congestion.
Some sites will use alternate waiting areas for classes/programs waiting to start. Please follow all signage or directions as posted at your facility.
Do I need to register or reserve a spot to attend a program?
Yes. All programs you wish to participate require individuals to register or make an online reservation using the Program Finder.
Are the support program or adapted programs being offered?
The City’s inclusive support program and adapted programs are offered with limited options and enhanced health and safety measures in place. These programs will be cancelled while the municipality is in the Orange or Red category.
Families are always welcome to provide their own support staff who can provide hands-on or close assistance within 2m or 6ft) of the participant. If you need assistance accessing a program or would like to discuss program/facilities please contact the inclusion team at [email protected]
Will registered programs being offered during all COVID-19 Levels?
Select registered group classes will be offered starting in the Orange category. Use the Program Finder to see current program offerings.
Why are certain registered programs not being offered?
City facilities and programs are being reopened in a gradual, slow and safe manner, as per COVID-19 Opening Framework.
As part of this phased approach, there may be a number of reasons a program is not offered, including:
- Restrictions or requirements that prevent the program activities
- Inability to maintain distance or disinfect equipment
- Decreased community demand
- Reduced facility operating hours or program space availability
Will I need to attend programs with my child?
As part of our phased approach, the following programs will be modified during Fall 2020 to require direct parent participation in program to ensure program instructor can maintain distance at all times.
Programs for 3-5 years and Swimmer 1/2 will require a caregiver to physically participate in the program with each participant (i.e. in the water providing hands on instruction)
- Splash Program (all levels) *must be in water
- Swimmer 1 *must be in water
- Swimmer 2 *must be in water
- Exploring Art
- Exploring Movement
- Exploring Science
- Sports Blast (3-5 yrs)
Are class sizes smaller?
Are class sizes smaller?
Recreation programs always strive to maintain low staff to participant ratios to ensure quality instruction. However, all program spaces have been measured for reduced capacities to ensure distance can be maintained, and where required, class sizes may be further reduced.
Fitness classes will be limited to 10 participants in Yellow, Orange, and Red zones within the Provincial COVID-19 Response Framework
Why are there so few days/times available for my preferred program?
We are anticipating a slow return of users to our facilities and programs. Additionally, Recreation staff will be following requirements for reduced capacities and enhanced disinfecting between programs/users. As a result, operating hours and number of programs offered at a facility may be reduced.
Recreation staff will be closely monitoring registration and waitlist demands and may be able to add additional programming where demonstrated need exists.
Will I be able to get a refund if I change my mind after registration day?
Please refer to our current refund policy to determine if you are eligible for a refund for your registered program offering.
I missed registration when can I register again?
Registration for programs with available spots will be ongoing after the scheduled registration date. To receive email communication and updates from the Recreation Division update your communication preferences by logging in to your account and updating your profile in the Program Finder.
Drop In Programs
Do I have to reserve a space for drop in programs before arriving at the facility?
Yes. In accordance with Reopening Ontario Act, 2020 reservations are required for all visitors accessing Recreation facilities. Individuals may reserve space in drop in programs, for all members within their family group 25hrs in advance using the Program Finder. How to find and book your drop in tickets is available in PDF and Video format. If you have difficulty accessing the online Program Finder call 905-546-3747 for assistance by phone
Why can’t I find my lengths swim for next week in the Program Finder?
Due to the limited availability of these programs viewing and reservation will only be made available 24 hours in advance.
Why do some drop in programs in the Program Finder have a 0 out of 0 capacity?
Where a drop in program tile indicates “0 out of 0 capacity remaining”, the course is not available for online booking or reservation, there is “0” capacity in the online environment. These programs are only available through in person admission during the scheduled time.
Am I able to bring my own equipment?
Participants are encouraged to bring their own equipment to programs when required (including racquets, Personal Flotation Devices, float belts, balls). Limited equipment may be available at the facility and will be disinfected between users.
I have a question that hasn’t been answered who can I speak with?
Please contact our customer service staff directly.
Email: [email protected]
We look forward to seeing you at the centres!
- Date modified: